What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I messed up

MTBengel

Horz Stab. - I screwed up drilling out a rivet on the HS-404 attachment to the front spar. It's too enlarged for an AN4. What do I do? Can I use a -5 (5/32) blind rivet in its place?

Last edited:
do you have any pictures? I just finished that exact area a few days ago. I'd probably call up Vans and see what they have to say. I had to call them about something last week and they were more than helpful! Let us know what happens

Van's advice

Spoke with builder's support... they gave me two pieces of advice.

#1 - Put in a 5/32" blind rivet and forget about it, it's a non-structural joint.

#2 - Don't be so anal about a less then perfect rivet in the future. The cure is often worse than the original problem.

I'm starting to learn about #2 also. Sometimes I think a rivet isn't perfect so I start trying to make it better by replacing it. Then it seems like I create a bigger problem than I had in the first place. I've already done this several times.

Ditto...I'm learning that lesson as well. I bought a baggie of oops rivets last week and I am going to use one this week.

I'm not afraid to use those oversize blind rivets. I built a Murphy Elite and every rivet of this structure was a 1/8 blind, and when you messed one up, you installed a 5/32 one.
Mike

Back