What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I Just Saved $100 on a Belt Sander!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
No, it's not a sale somewhere - I found a great web site for buying tool parts!

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

I bought a Delta Belt/Disk sander maybe 15 years ago when Builder's Square was going out of business. Did lots of household woodwork with it, and when I started the RV-8 build, I found it to be invaluable for shaping metal - one of the most important tools in the shop! Unfortunately, it has been getting weaker and weaker as we are building the -3, and a couple of weeks ago, it quit spinning altogether.

After some strenuous disassembly (it has been together a long time), I discovered that the driven pulley on the belt shaft had stripped. Dang Plastic pulleys! (It lasted how many years?!) I did some shopping on the web for comparable units, but didn't really want to spend that money before Christmas. then I found the web site above, and the parts I needed were about $17. I placed the order, they shipped the next day, and they were here when we got home from Minnesota yesterday.

It took about an hour of enjoyable shop time to re-build the whole unit, and it's now like new! Heck, I could argue that $25 per hour (shipping added a little...) is cheap for entertainment, and shop time is always entertaining....the savings over buying a new one and trashing the old - priceless!

Thought some others with tired tools might need the site,

Paul

That's a good find, Paul.

Sears has a (perhaps) comparable operation.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/

I have ordered many parts from them. They stock all sorts of parts for appliances and tools. So far I have fixed our oven (bad keypad), our fridge (bad water dispenser), my lawn mower (gas tank), a chain saw (proprietary spark plug wire) and a belt sander (motor) using that site. None of the equipment was sears-branded (Craftsman, Kenmore, etc) but sears had the parts for all of them.

They also have exploded diagrams of just about any appliance or tool you can imagine so finding the correct part is made much easier.

Not much is more satisfying than fixing an appliance. That's why women marry men isn't it? So far I have fixed our dryer, dishwasher, A/C, water heater, etc.. A little searching on the internet, talk to a few friends, order some parts, viola!

I always find it very satisfying to be able to fix anything, especially if it was designed as a "throw away and replace" item.

Back