What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I just ordered my QB fuse and finishing kit.

G34U

I just ordered my qb fuse and finishing kit for my rv-10. I was not planning to do this but price of aluminum scared me little bit and I wanted to do this before the price increase. Unfortunately I still have a wing to finish.:mad:
Sorry I did not do too much of a research on this. As a newbie I need your help. There is a lot of talk about after market stuff. I red people deleting some components from the factory list. So far I found these on another thread. What are you thinking about these and what am I missing?

Door seals. I don't know which company I should buy from?

Tires. From Desser I guess.

Windows from Cee Baileys.

Front axle and wheels from Matco.

180 degree door mechanism. I don't know where?

the wheel pant extensions. Where?

I really appreciate everybody's help on this.

John.

regarding tires, i think anytime someone is buying a kit they aren't quite ready for they should delete the tire and tubes completely. And not get any replacements until they need them for the airplane to sit on. Rubber degrades slowly over time and no sense in buying a hundred dollars worth of consumables.

First, you really need to assess what you want out of your project because you can spend a considerable amount on upgrades that, all emotion aside, are in the realm of nice to have vs need to have. Some guys are going all out, spare no expense. Others are staying pretty close to stock -- I'm in the middle. You can't go wrong no matter which way you go. Don't get spooked by one post over on Matronics.

Having said that, Planearound.com is the source for the door parts. www.Iflyrv10.com is a source of many upgrades to include the wheel pants extensions, as is Cleaveland Tools, http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/departments/2/NEW-ITEMS---.aspx

First, you really need to assess what you want out of your project because you can spend a considerable amount on upgrades that, all emotion aside, are in the realm of nice to have vs need to have. Some guys are going all out, spare no expense. Others are staying pretty close to stock -- I'm in the middle. You can't go wrong no matter which way you go. Don't get spooked by one post over on Matronics.

Having said that, Planearound.com is the source for the door parts. www.Iflyrv10.com is a source of many upgrades to include the wheel pants extensions, as is Cleaveland Tools, http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/departments/2/NEW-ITEMS---.aspx

My concern is (from what I have red here and there)factory supply the cheapest product out there for price concerns. These cheapest products add a lot of man hour to make it work and add a lot of unnecessary hassle. Thank you for your reply.

John,
I feel safe in saying that most builders, if they delete anything at all out of the Finishing Kit, it's the front wheel and axel and that's about it. That doesn't mean that at some point they don't go with an aftermarket product (ie windows, tires, etc) just that most don't bother deleteing things out of this particular kit. In fact, I'll hazard to say that the only kit that probably sees significant deletions is the FWF.

I only omitted the nose wheel and axle.

Then I bought replacements from Matco.

My concern is (from what I have red here and there)factory supply the cheapest product out there for price concerns. These cheapest products add a lot of man hour to make it work and add a lot of unnecessary hassle. Thank you for your reply.

John,
True, some of the kit components aren't of the greatest quality, but going aftermarket will not necessarily save you any install time. At best I'd say it's a wash as some aftermarket items can actually add to your build time. It might sound like I'm trying to talk you out of doing mods and upgrades, but I'm not --I'm doing some myself (Accuracy Avionics Overhead console (the crappy one :rolleyes:), matco front wheel , Planearound center door latch, Gretz pitot, etc, etc). I'm simply trying to make sure you're approaching this with your eyes open. YMMV...

Keep in mind that just because a couple guys say "you gotta use X instead of Van's Y" doesn't necessarily make it so.

-Rob

A few things I've changed that I would not build without. Stratusnuts center door latch you mentioned, and the McMaster Carr door seals. There are other things I've changed but only for personal preference.
Ron

Back