What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I have a spare switch, what would you do?

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
I made a planning change after cutting my panel and I ended up with an extra switch. It was suggested that I use it for a defroster and install a computer fan in the forward skin. I don't know that a defroster would get a lot of use so I thought I'd ask for ideas on what to use the switch for.

Any ideas?

P.S. The current switches are:
MASTER
AVI MASTER
FUEL PUMP
A/P
NAV LIGHTS
STROBE LIGHTS
LANDING LIGHTS
WIG-WAG
CABIN LIGHTS
DEFROST???????
PITOT HEAT
SPARE
FLAPS

Yup - wait until you fly, and then you'll figure out what you need to have. I believe I have added three switches to the Valkyrie's panel along the way....and I thought I'd thought of everything before first flight! :)

Paul

One vote for defroster-fan

Hi.

If you live where it's getting chilliy or cold, I recommend a defroster-fan.
I have one installed and the airstream is pointed upwards to the canopy in the area in front of the pilot-seat.

It's very valuable on most of the flights I do in the Spring and Fall, and I use it on every flight during winter.
For the very most, it's only needed just after start and through the takeoff. After that point, there's enough airflow and heat from the normal heatvalve.

Ofcourse Norway is pretty cold, but it's also of great value in humid conditions right after engine start.

Label it "spare", and wait till you find a use for it.

Mike & Paul,

I was planning to omit the defroster and mark it spare but since I'm clear coating over the labels I wanted to explore my options. I'll put the "SPARE" labels on top of the clear coat so they can be changed without damaging the panel but I'd like to get it right the first time if possible.

Alf,

From what I've read, defrosters only get used during ground operations in cold, damp climates and the windscreen clears up once flying. Southern California doesn't present a large need for one so I thought I could find a better use for the switch.

Last edited:
Go-baby-go!

Label - "Go-Baby-go!" I once saw this switch (with guard). I can't for the life of me remember if it was hooked up to anything.

Note to self. Don't hit that one without further explanation.

I have and extra switch in my RV. I think it may be the one I use to disable the new ADS-B, so they can't be using it to track me to collect new user fees. :rolleyes: Oh you think not? Well ok. Has anyone ever busted class B airspace turned off the transponder, dropped below the radar and snuck home by an alternate route? What... no one? It is good to know that we RV jockeys have such integrity within this group. I guess you will have to find another use for that extra switch.

Alt static air

Since you have pitot heat, alt static would be good (although I do like gear retract, but with one light burned out!) I think Stein has a static valve that looks like a regular switch.

Bob Kelly

From what I've read, defrosters only get used during ground operations in cold, damp climates and the windscreen clears up once flying. Southern California doesn't present a large need for one so I thought I could find a better use for the switch.
The world is a big place, and RVs fly fast. I'm betting you'll venture outside Southern California someday. I've found the defroster on my RV-8 useful a couple of times.

Smoke?

If you plan on having a smoke system you need a switch to arm the system... I think a defroster would be helpful in many climates around the nation.

Since you have pitot heat, alt static would be good (although I do like gear retract, but with one light burned out!) I think Stein has a static valve that looks like a regular switch.

Bob Kelly

Thanks Bob for pointing out something that I forgot to add. But, do you think it would be better to place the alternate static valve off by its self and not in a row of switches?

The world is a big place, and RVs fly fast. I'm betting you'll venture outside Southern California someday. I've found the defroster on my RV-8 useful a couple of times.

Kevin, I defiantly plan to venture out of SoCal but I question whether I want to install a system that I may never use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the fogging issue does not occur in flight and that opening the canopy (I have a slider) slightly while on the ground with clear up the windshield.

If you plan on having a smoke system you need a switch to arm the system...

I have to admit I thought of that.

Yup - wait until you fly, and then you'll figure out what you need to have. I believe I have added three switches to the Valkyrie's panel along the way....and I thought I'd thought of everything before first flight! :)

Paul

Paul, do you recall what those three switches were?

Something like this might be a conversation-starter for you:

nuke-consent-04.jpg

:)

Kevin, I defiantly plan to venture out of SoCal but I question whether I want to install a system that I may never use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the fogging issue does not occur in flight and that opening the canopy (I have a slider) slightly while on the ground with clear up the windshield.
My experience is that once the prop is turning in cold weather the prop blast tends to make it pretty frigid in the cockpit if you crack the canopy open. You'll be wishing you could close the canopy and turn on the defroster fan.

We were asked by the FAA, after 9/11...

...to add a switch, hidden someplace, to be in series with our master switches, so terrorists couldn't steal one of our ag planes to distribute anthrax:eek:....seriously!

So we mount a switch in series with the master switch to be a theft deterrent, and some of the guys labelled it "911":)

A very easy anti-start switch!

Best,

Electric Butt-Warmers

How about electric seat heaters?

One wintertime ride across north Texas in a Super-8 Fastback equipped with electric seat heaters convinced me they're well worth the money.

Back