What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I Forgot

mattsmith

Well Known Member
OK so I ran all the wire in conduit from the panel to the elevator for the electric trim and riveted the aft skin on and guess what I forgot to do, Twist the wire. In the same conduit I have the strobe power, nav lights and master relay power wires. Do you think this will be a problem?

Just pull 'em out and twist them. But when you pull them out, pull a string into the conduit with the wires you're pulling out. Then use the string to pull the wires back in.

Marshall Alexander
OKC, OK

Marshal, I don't think I will have enough slack in the wires to twist them now, do you think as long as I keep all the antenna and adahars wires away from that bundle I will be OK?

I think you will be OK, none of my wire bundles are twisted but I don't have electric trim. If you have trouble you can pull them later and do as Marshall suggested. If they are too short you will just have to splice them or replace them, not the end of the world.

Larry

I didn't twist anything and it all works fine (I have electric trim). I was also worried about the Dynon remote compass being so close to the rudder cables - they are magnetic - doesn't seem to to be a problem either.

Chris

No absolutes

From and airplane building novice, but an electrical noise professional: The strobe wiring is most likely to be the source of interference, but as stated above there are no absolutes in the electromagnetic interference business (except that every time one of us "experts" thinks we have it nailed, something will bite us). I'd just move on for now. It won't be that much harder to fix it after you find any problem which might show itself than it is now.

Thanks for all the replies, I will leave the wiring as is and see what happens. the antenna and adahars wiring will be a foot or more away and the strobes have shielded wire. Again thanks for the input.

If you do have problems it will most likely be with the trim position readout indicator. The 3 wires going to the trim servo used to detect trim position can be sensitive to induced electrical noise and the result will be a flickering position readout or multiple LED bars illuminated on the readout. If this happens you will probably have to pull and twist the 3 wires used for trim position sensing. I'm not sure if twisting them would solve the problem but is something to try if you do have issues.

Does anyone know how many twists per inch are required to provide protection? What is optimum?
Thanks,

More is better

Twisting the wire results in a poor-man's version of coaxial cable which by design is immune to transmitting or receiving EMI (assuming equal current in shield and center conductor). The more twists per inch, the closer it'll behave like coax.

Back