What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hyd reservoir location

Freemasm

Well Known Member
My apologies if this has been previously beaten about.

I'm all for keeping flammables out of the cockpit but hear me out.

Beringer drawings show the hyd reservoir on the hot side of the firewall I.A.W/referencing Vans drawings. The penetration is just a hole for the fluid adapter to pass through the FW. I've taken the time to not have any penetrations that weren't steel/positive mechanical seal. There will be FWF insulation with a SS flashing.

Anybody move the resvr to the cold side?
or
How have builders properly sealed this in the past?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Scott, we use the Vans reservoir in our installs. Not as pretty as the Beringer, but a bunch easier to install. The boss on the aft side of the reservoir fits in the hole. Seal it with RTV or Fireblock.

Tom

Every RV I've seen has it on the engine side of the firewall. Not saying they're all like that, but that's by far the norm. It's going to be rather difficult to check the level and top it off if it's inside the cabin, as it needs to be able to gravity feed to the brake master cylinders.

The reservoir isn't a major fire issue IF the plastic tee is replaced with a metal tee, preferably steel or brass, but aluminum will work. A plastic tee on the back of the reservoir melts long before the reservoir itself, dumping fluid inside the cockpit.

Firewall forward reservoirs can be insulated with a stainless shell if desired. An RV8 allows mounting in a corner of the baggage compartment. Works great.

Reservoirs needing top off are attached to leaking brake systems. Fix the airplane. Plumbing with AN flare lines is a great place to start. Roll your own or call Tom, see above.

Attachments

• Melted Reservor Fitting.jpg
    Melted Reservor Fitting.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Res2.jpg
    Res2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Res.JPG
    Res.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Back