What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hurricane Assist!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It?s not often that you get a tailwind when you are westbound along the Gulf Coast?.so you have to enjoy it when you do! Yesterday evening I was flying back to Houston Pensacola, cruising along in the Valkyrie at 8500 feet enjoying 15-20 knots on my tail?courtesy of Tropical Storm Isaac, far away down the gulf, but having an influence nonetheless. It was a pretty evening with a few lingering thundershowers along the way, silhouetted by the sun in the western sky. The cells were visible on the XM far in advance so a few degrees left or right was all that was required on the autopilot. Most of the cells were solo affairs, standing out by themselves with no clouds around them, giving a few farm fields a little soaking (which will prove to be unnecessary given what will hit them in a few days). Then, of course, there was a broader area of clouds and an anvil over Lake Arthur in southern Louisiana (as usual)?.I just deviated to the coast and cruised on home from there. Touched down at Polly a half hour before sunset and all was well.

The trip to Pensacola was my first time at the Naval Aviation museum ? ironic that it came on a weekend when we lost Neil, arguably one of the most famous of all men to wear the golden wings, even though most people don?t think of him that way. Yup, we saw the airplanes he flew in Korea ? primitive jets by today?s standards?but part of our history and heritage. There is no doubt that this museum is up there with the Air Force Museum in Dayton and the Udvar Hazey at Dulles. The best part ? the number of cockpits you can find to sit in. Everywhere you look - all around the place are cockpit trainers and simulators just waiting to be tried on for size. Louise and tried a bunch?.the A-4 seemed most reminiscent of the RV-3 ? snug and comfy, everything where you wanted it to be. Must have been a fun jet to fly!

Someone needs to tell the Blues that their jets are dusty!
P1010274.JPG

I found the Harrier to be a nice fit?
P1010244.JPG

While Louise thought the A-4 was a lot like the RV-3!
P1010183.JPG

I?m really glad that we had the chance to get over there while we still lived on the Gulf Coast. It has been recommended here before, so this is just another push for folks to go if you are in range and looking for a way to lose at least a day ? you could probably spend a week! I used Ferguson (82J) for the visit ? nice folks, and a 500? pattern to stay out of the NAS airspace.

Paul

Great writeup!

Thanks mucho Paul! This is going on the ole "gotta go to" list. What a great way to re-connect with aviation history.
I too lament the passing of Neil Armstrong, he truly was a GREAT aviator.

Are you & Louise planning on moving from Houston??

Best regards,

Several years ago we finally made it out to the Naval museum for a visit. It is truly a wonderful museum. With all the projects pending in the "back yard", that museum could eventually triple in size.

For all aviators, this is a must do visit.

We've not been to NAS Pensacola for a couple of years, nice museum. You really need more than a day though if you do the cinemas as well. It would be nice to get back there sometime.

Are you & Louise planning on moving from Houston??

Our hearts are in the west...and Houston is not "west" enough.... when I'm done at NASA, we're headed to the mountains.

Oh, speakign of the films, we did take advantage of the visit to see "Air Racers" at the IMAX. It wasn't "bad", but I must say that it was disappointingly short on actual in-flight IMAX footage from racers. I got the feeling that they had borrowed money for the project, they had a deadline, the 2011 tragedy prevented them from getting what they wanted, and they had to cobble together a film with what they had. Too bad - it could have been so much more.

Logisitics

Paul,

Shevon and I fly Houston to Destin routinley and my Dad and brother keep telling me to go see that museum. Where did you land? What did you do for ground transporation to get there. I am going to Destin next week after the storm passes and was thinking about going to the museum.

Thanks.

Several years ago, a former Naval Aviator buddy came up with a last-minute idea for a road trip -- NAS Pensacola. He hadn't been there in years, and was bound and determined to introduce a couple of civvie pilots to his old stomping ground. So, we told our wives that we'd be back on Sunday, grabbed some essentials and hit the road.

I don't remember much about the trip anymore, except that the museum was great. However, when he took us to Trader Jon's, the museum was upstaged.

Trader Jon was a gracious gentleman, even to strangers, and his bar was a museum of its own. The walls were covered with naval memorabilia, with model planes hanging from the ceiling, many constructed by aviators at sea who killed time building models and sending them back for Trader Jon.

There were several autographed pics on the walls of famous aviators, Blue Angels, fleet pilots, etc. It was a veritable compendium of naval aviation history, and I was told that he had two storage units full of stuff that had already been taken down!

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Trader_Jon's

I would enjoy seeing the museum again, but I'd much rather hang out one more time at Trader Jon's ...

Try Ferguson (82J)

Paul,

Shevon and I fly Houston to Destin routinley and my Dad and brother keep telling me to go see that museum. Where did you land? What did you do for ground transporation to get there. I am going to Destin next week after the storm passes and was thinking about going to the museum.

Thanks.

Paul landed at Ferguson (82J), which is very close to the base. I'm on a detail over here in Pensacola right now, so I had a rental car and a couple days off, so he didn't have to hassle getting his own car. But, the Ferguson folks were really nice/supportive and I note that the AirNav comments say they frequently help folks get over to the museum. Give them a call. Highly recommended!

82J

Ferguson folks are great. I stayed there for a few days this summer. Check the office hours before you go if you will need access. SS pumps are new, they even have a Hummer as the loaner car!

They also have a transient hangar available for $10 a night to keep your RV out of the summer rain! It's not 'if' it is going to rain, but rather 'how much' is it going to rain!

Dan

but I'd much rather hang out one more time at Trader Jon's ...

Yes, from the 1950's through 2003 it was a prerequisite for all Naval Aviators to visit Trader Jon's at least once while in flight training. Unfortunately it closed permanently in late 2003.
Another great Pensacola landmark is McGuires.....great steaks, burgers, etc and one of those places 99.99% of naval aviators have visited.

Paul,

Thanks.

82J Fergusan is the closest. Be aware of the airspace all around it.
I seem to remember there was a shuttle available that would take you to the base. The museum isn't too far from that gate.
My son picked us up as he was in training the times I've flown in.

Sadly Trader Jon's is no more. 82J is indeed very close to the back gate of NASP. Once you get onto base the Museum is only perhaps 5 minutes on your left. Earned my PPL at that airfield. The airspace is low because it's a wedge cut out of Sherman Air Field but at only ~3K long you don't want to be high anyways!

Yes, from the 1950's through 2003 it was a prerequisite for all Naval Aviators to visit Trader Jon's at least once while in flight training. Unfortunately it closed permanently in late 2003.
Another great Pensacola landmark is McGuires.....great steaks, burgers, etc and one of those places 99.99% of naval aviators have visited.

Kiss the moose!!!!

Back