What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS908 Brackets

aarvig

Well Known Member
Question, I just finished my HS908 attach brackets. They came out perfect except for one thing. I cut too close with the bandsaw and in order to get the cutting striations out I had to sand them down. The are 1/32 inch to narrow (width-wise). Should I remake them?
Also, how many of you use a scotchbrite wheel to polish these types of things? I cut it down with a Vixen file then sanded using 180/220/320 grit sandpaper.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but you may want to shoot a quick email to Van's just to make sure. That way you won't worry about it. I use my scotchbrite wheel for everything. Trimming, polishing, you name it.

I just did these, and found that the Scotchbrite wheel made for uneven (not square) edges. Plan to re-make the parts when I get back from the business trip that I am on, and will use a tabletop belt sander to trim up the edges and keep things square.

Reference Line

As long as you take all your measurements for holes locations and various lengths from the inboard (square) face of the bracket that acts as a reference line in the drawings, I think you can build on.
Saying that, I supposed that you removed too much material from the angled side, not the square one.

I used a bandsaw to ruff cut, vixen file to smooth the ruff and the 3M wheel to smooth to a finish. I am very pleased with the results. Keeping proper edge distance for the riveting is necessary so check that against the plans.

The angled cuts are designed such that they follow the contour of the aft fuselage where they bolt down to the aft deck, an aluminum spacer and a piece of angle aluminum that is riveted to the top of the F-710 bulkhead. They don't have to be exact - just really close. Again, gotta have that edge distance for the bolts.

It's a pain to make these things, I know, and I was unhappy with my first set so I made another trying to achieve perfection. The second set came out better but not perfect - they'll work just fine. Now that I have a better idea of what they will be used for (preview plans - DWG 27A) I know that either set will work. I now have a set of "OK" attach angles as small paper weights. :eek:

Don't remake them now. Wait until you attach the HS to the the AFT deck and you will find that they are just fine. If at that point there is an issue it is not a big deal to remake a set. You'll be a pro and making fittings by then.

Thanks for the advice. I called Vans, they said not to worry about it. That being said my perfectionistic side ordered more angle. I'll keep what I have for now and if I feel like building some new ones, I will later on down the road (which, I guarantee you, I will:rolleyes:.)

Back