What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS spar Rivet direction

BrentHumphreys

Well Known Member
when I was riveting the hinge brackets on the rear spar, I neglected the instruction that said to put the manufactured head on the hinge side for clearance.

I assume this is for clearance on the leading edge of the elevator.

Do I need to drill those rivets out and redo them?

I cant see this as a problem, however I would take the elevator and check the clearance you have. On mine there seems to be plenty of clearance, but I might not even have the same HS or elevator as you. My elevator seems together on the leading edge, not the trailing edge.

I would have thought that the VS would have had a similar instruction but no. I put the shop head on the hinge bracket because it was easier to drive - no clearance issues. I put the manufactured head on the HS on the bracket as per the plans and have trial fitted the elevators. To be honest, I don't see the issue - there seems plenty of clearance. Do you want to drill out rivets on a critical item if you don't have to? My experience so far has been that 90% of the +*&^-ups have been drilling out rivets that probably were OK.

Bottom line - ask VANS. Why is everyone so reluctant to do that?

Back