What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Rib Flange bending to 9 Degrees

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am about to start on the next part of the HS and I see the directions indicate some of the ribs need the front and rear flanges bent outwards to 9 degrees. How exact is this number and can it simply be eye balled or am I going to need some king of gig to do this?

TLAR

I'm building a 7 and I would say your eyeball will work wonderfully well for this bend. Sometimes the TLAR method works remarkably well. Not always, but most of the time.

TLAR?

That Looks About Right ;)

P.S. That was written late last night and as I reflect today on what I wrote last night, I probably should have said that if Van's calls it out as a 9-degree angle, then there must be a reason for that. A protractor is a necessary instrument to build an RV; there may be times when you just eyeball the protractor to see what the desired angle is and then use the TLAR method. In any case, I certainly defer to Bob and the other -10 builders out there.

Last edited:
I am about to start on the next part of the HS and I see the directions indicate some of the ribs need the front and rear flanges bent outwards to 9 degrees. How exact is this number and can it simply be eye balled or am I going to need some king of gig to do this?

For many parts, as Don states, you can just eyeball it. However, you have many more bends coming ahead in your build. Some of which will cause you headaches if you aren't pretty close. So it depends on how accurate your eye is in estimating degrees of bend. You should invest in a protractor like this one which can be had for less thant $10 at one of the local aviation build stores. There are more elaborate solutions available, but they cost more.

bob

038728220189sm.jpg

Back