What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS rear spar rivets too short

brewtoo

RV-7 Horizontal Stabilizer, rear spar.

I notice the 4-6 rivets called out in the plans are too short. However, the 4-7 rivet is the perfect length...well, maybe a tiny tad too long. These are the rivets that attach the long stiffeners to the rear spars.

The 4-6s will not pass the the gauge test...neither height nor width.

Did everyone just go on and use the 4-6s anyway?

Thanks

There's a theory that Vans calls for these slightly short rivets to make your first riveting job look good! I suppose to build your confidence. The rivets will be okay, but I, and probably most builders use the correct length ones.

I have noticed this on some rivets and I think it has been discussed before; the conclusion is that Van's errs on the side of too short to keep inexperienced riveters from clubbing or bending over the rivets. If you want you could cut down the -7s to -6.5, or set a couple of the -6s and see how the shop heads look...
I think I used the -6s anyway.

Thomas

I remember encountering this too... I ended up using -7s with no issues, but YMMV.

Oh, I almost forgot... I did have one issue. I ran out of -7s before finishing the spar and had to borrow more from a local builder.

I just got to this point in my build and came across the same thing.
So if using the suggested rivet is fine, which way do I go on the shop head?

Do we go too short but wide enough when mashed down?
Or is tall enough good, but then not wide enough?

:confused:

I just put in two rivets then stopped since I'm not sure where to go with this.

Tom

HS Rivets

I bought -6.5 length rivets. Probably not necessary, but no more hand wringing with the correct length rivets.

I just got to this point in my build and came across the same thing.
So if using the suggested rivet is fine, which way do I go on the shop head?

Do we go too short but wide enough when mashed down?
Or is tall enough good, but then not wide enough?

:confused:

I just put in two rivets then stopped since I'm not sure where to go with this.

Tom

Try THIS for guidance.

Back