What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS rear spar rivet call out per plans

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Okay guys.
I could be being a tad critical here or being a bit of a perfectionist. I built my VS first and have been cruising through my build at a pretty good clip. May be I had an off evening building. I riveted my HS rear spar this last evening. Sorry for the lack of part numbers here but the plans call for 4-6 for the spar doubler which seemed a tiny bit short to me. I got all of the shop heads squeezed to a good diameter but the height is a little shy of the gauge (a little more than half the height)... Then comes the outter most hinge bracket which calls for a 4-5 rivet. These seemed a little too long. I thought, heck ill follow the plans which the directions say specifically that the plans call out the correct rivets. I had a few bend over which I'm going to drill out and reset. But these shop heads seem way long when set to the proper diameter... I'm I crazy or is this the norm in some areas? Up till now, I really haven't had an issue except for the bearing bracket, where the shop heads are a bit short but was reassured by the directions that the rivet call out is correct... what gives here? I'm using the Isham #4 gage... shall I get out the A&P book and a micrometer? To check the true tolerance.

Thanks

What is normal anyway?

Yep, it's normal. Some 14,000 rivets, Van's callout is correct 99% of the time. The others are sometimes short, sometimes long, either way won't cause you to fall from the sky. After a couple thousand you will get a feel for what is correct before you pull the trigger.

I started my tail a few weeks ago.

I saw a similar posting a while back where a builder decided to use -7 rivets for the rear HS spar to doubler. I tried this and while the -7 rivets looked right before squeezing, many fell over. So I went back to -6's and was much happier.

It might be that going through such a solid hunk of metal, they have less tendency to expand inside and end up leaving enough material outside for a shop head.

I don't recall an issue with the hinge bracket.

rivets

The rivet lengths called out in the plans may not be correct. When working large aircraft, engineering drawings usually call out a tolerance of + - one size in length. Use whatever length gives you a proper shop head.

Back