What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Fairing Holes

330Jock

Well Known Member
Sponsor
OK, I've looked at all the old posts about the 10 holes we are supposed to leave for the empennage fairing. But , I guess my question is if it is going to be such a bear to get the nutplates on later, why wouldn't I put them on the ribs now, before I assemble the HS?

Holes are easier to drill in the fiberglass fairing without nutplates underneath.

OK, You guys have convinced me to wait. One more question, some posts said to literally do nothing with holes. So, I have just marked these holes and have not even drilled the ribs at this location. Is that correct? Or was I supposed to match drill the holes an then just leave them open with no rivet?

Don't dimple the screw holes as the fairing lays flat to the HS skin. The only dimpling or countersinking to be done will be for the rivets holding the nutplates.

I circled those holes conspicuously with a fat Sharpie and labeled to remind me NOT to put anything else in them. Good thing ... I was tempted more than once to put "other stuff" in at least one of them.

I circled those holes conspicuously with a fat Sharpie and labeled to remind me NOT to put anything else in them. Good thing ... I was tempted more than once to put "other stuff" in at least one of them.
I did the exact same thing!!

I did this as well. I guess I was bringing up my past mistake, by asking a question, as a warning to other new builders. The manual says clearly to not rivet the holes, but does not say do not dimple them. In reality, you can flatten the dimples out if you made the mistake I did.

It was a good lesson for me to get me in the habit of looking at the plans really well before I got to the wings.

It's true...we can be taught!

Don't dimple the screw holes as the fairing lays flat to the HS skin. The only dimpling or countersinking to be done will be for the rivets holding the nutplates.

An excellent use of the preview plans is to look ahead to find out exactly how a future part will get attached in presently unused holes. I just had the same question on the root end of the main wing skins where the root fairings (sheet aluminum) will eventually attach. Looking ahead to DWG 38, I see that they get machine countersunk on top (three layers), or dimpled (only two layers). Since I haven't yet riveted the skins, I was able to dimple all the parts, top and bottom, then machine countersink for the nutplate rivet holes.

Back