What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS attaching advise needed?

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

Im starting to fit my HS to the aft deck.

I have got the two spacers under the front spar and fuselage has been leveled.

The instructions say to put a 3/16 spacer under the rear spar to get it level.

I have got two #30 drill bits through the tooling holes and a level over the drill bits. When the level reads 0 I can not fit the 3/16 drill under the rear spar(only just)

But my question is the bottom skins of the HS is touching the aft deck when everyting is correctly leveled. Is this ok?

probably the same

as my -8 but I'm not sure. Put the 3/16 th drill bit in there for sure, the tooling holes are ok but its hard to get a really accurate measurement there. I tried that too but wasn't happy with that way. I went with the drill bit under aft spar as per instructions. My lower stab skins did not touch anywhere on the aft deck. I don't think they should. They probably will not with the 3/16th drill bit under the aft spar. hope this helps

bird

thanks bird

Thanks bird. But im still a little puzzled by this as when i put the drill bit under the back end it shows it to be 0.03 out to the fuselage.

I might send vans a email top check this, any other replies would also be great :)

In the instructions I have, they show in Fig 8-11 using spacer blocks over the spar to level the HS. I don't see how you can put a level over the tooling holes except at the tip (or a really short level), which could possibly be off due to some twist.

.03?

Is that .03 degree's? That is truly very very little. I wouldn't worry about that. There are airplanes flying around with parts mis-aligned way more than that. Make sure your stab is square with the fuse and the vertical is square with the stab. that is important for a good flying aircraft.

bird

0.3 degrees

Sorry that was may mistake, its 0.3 degrees too high with the 3/16 drill in the back.

I bought the RV builders video from vans which shows the guy putting two long #30 drill bits through the tooling holes (As this is the centre cord line of the wing) and placing some angle cut to size ontop of the drills for the level to go on. My level is a digital level, Its very accurate :)

Thanks for the input guys :)

HS attach

I do not believe that you want the horz stab touching the longerons. level the HS to your specifications then shim the front and rear mounting points equally to get the HS off the longeron.

Back