What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-910

civengpe

Well Known Member
I think I have finally come to a step in the build where, no mater how hard I try, I cannot complete. :(

Installing the horizontal stabilizer end cap fairings has got me completely frustrated. I have been working on one for probably 40 hours now and don't see the end in sight. I first had issues with the fiberglass cloth adhering to the outside of the fairing. Since its a knife like edge, it would de-bond every time I tried to remove the temporary foam rib. I then decided to just leave the foam rib and glass it in place. That seemed to do the trick and everything looked great until I clecoed it in place. I have interference in the middle of the outside layer of cloth. I could just sand an 1/8" dimple in the middle, but that doesn't seem right.

This is the first step where I am absolutely stumped as how to proceed.

Does anyone out there make aftermarket, complete hs-910? If not, what is the trick I am missing here.

Dave from Air Crafters had set me in the right direction.

I am going to sand the fiberglass down through the foam rib to the shape I need and then lay up another layer of glass. The plans really make it look like the final product should be flat, but that is definitely not the case.

If I was starting over I would recess the foam rib a little more than an 1/8" or sand a concave into it. Then lay the glass.

Back