What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS 908 Attach Angles - How to Fabricate?

I was looking to get some ideas on which tools to use to fabricate the attach angles? Particularly to measure and mark the lines and holes, and also to cut the lines? Rotary cutting tool? Handsaw? Bandsaw?

I cut the rough shape with the bandsaw, then worked it to the correct shape with the scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder, and finally smoothed everything with the scotchbrite polishing wheel. One thing I have learned in the last year is to leave yourself some extra material when you make the rough cuts. Grinding down to size with the scotchbrite wheel creates a lot of heat. Using a good old file may take more time and energy, but you can get things down to the exact size and not over do it.

Here's a blurry picture of mine.
634191148_YfxhV-M.jpg

Take your time and draw everything out with your fine sharpie marker.
Use a spring loaded center punch to mark the holes for drilling. Drill the holes out a bit undersized (1/8") on a drill press to make sure they are straight. Then match drill them to #30 with the HS spar. Clamp a straight edge across both angles when you match drill so that they are lined up exactly flat to each other.

I had to make mine before I had my bandsaw up and running, just worked them with a dremel tool into rough shape before grinding down with my scotchbrite wheel. A bandsaw will make short work of this if you have one.

Lacking a proper blade for my bandsaw, I tried using a hacksaw for my first one. After that I promptly ran out to buy a fine-toothed blade for my bandsaw.

The first set I made were cut too close to my layout lines, and after I sanded them to final shape on the belt sander I had shy edge margin to the holes on both my brackets. I had to order some new angle from Vans and start over.

Cut 'em big and sand down to size. It'll take a lot of time but it's better to do it right the first time than to do it over.

I recommend that you don't cut the lower part per the plans. Add about .050-.100" to the INBD side and about .020-.040" in the OTBD. You will find that when you install the HS on the aft fuselage that you can make them much wider than the plans call out. Once you know where the holes for the fasteners go, then you can trim them accordingly.

Buy a bunch of fine tooth band saw blades. The best investment you can make during your build.

Thanks, Tony. Now I'm wondering if I should make a THIRD set!

Nope. Yours will be fine. I just remember when I installed my HS the edge distance for the AN hardware was tight and had I known I would have made them a little oversize.

Back