What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-905

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
I just sent the following to Van's, but I figured I'd get a faster answer here.

"On page 8-7, the plans call for cutting an oval in the web of two nose ribs to allow for routing of trim cables. Since all of the nose ribs have lightening holes, I'm assuming there is no need for further modification.

"Is this a fair assumption?

"I'm also assuming I still need to set aside 2 and open the rear flange 9 degrees."

Thanks!

Jeff

Make the cut.

You do need to make those oval cut. Easiest way I found was take a piece of paper and fold it in half then cut it. You should end up with a "perfect" oval.

I think Vans changed these parts. I installed mine as received.

2013-10-10%2022.13.46.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected...

Well looks like Vans did change parts. Looks like 1.5 years and things have already been updated. Makes me wonder what else has been upgraded with the kit to make life easier.

Here's the word from Van's

There's only one trim cable -- see DWG 27A -- and that's if you're using manual trim.
Ovaling the hole isn't critical. It just allows the cable a slighly straighter run if it needs it.

YOu'll have to bend both fwd and aft flanges of a couple ribs for the inboard stations. A few
second with your fingers will do the job.

Thanks for the responses and thanks for the picture.

Back to the garage.

Jeff

I could be wrong, but that response sounds like it was intended for a different model.
I'll concur the reply seemed a little off. Fact is, according to the diagram, the distance from the middle of the aft tooling hole to the leading edge of the oval is 2 inches. On the rib itself, it's 2 inches from the tooling hole to the leading edge of the lightening hole. Seems like that would give sufficient clearance for the trim cable.

Back