What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-905 woes

nlewis

I'm New Here
so after learning the lesson on the VS, I carefully shaped the HS nose ribs so as to not scratch or deform the skin, and life was good. then I discovered what fun the most forward rivets in these ribs are. For the most part, I got clean and acceptable rivets after enough swearing, but the sad end of the story is that the back corner of the bucking bar apparently got loose a time or two and did a number on the opposite surface instead, forward of the foremost rivet :mad:. I had trouble getting a pic that didn't make it look either better or worse than it is; the surface is dented outwards, .020" at worst:

DSC03588.JPG

...with corresponding ugly gouges on the inside. my inclination is to smooth it as much as I can, sand and touch the inside with primer, and move on - clean it up the rest of the way with filler before paint.

* would that be a mistake?
* any advice on a technique for smoothing?

In my build class, Wally Anderson from SynergyAir said that whenever this happens, make the "outie" an "innie" and then fill the "innie." Good luck. I built a whole extra second half of the HS just because those first fwd ribs were so tricky to rivet without denting the skill.

FWIW, Van's really needs to start encouraging people to gain experience with the much easier (and cheaper) VS and then go to the more challenging HS. This advice has been advanced many times on this board (by many people) since I started my build 4+ years ago and, as far as I know, nothing in the instructions has changed.

Back