What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS 905 nose rib

Fedico94

middle rib of the respective HS half. Can the flange of the middle rib be turned around to point towards the middle of the assemby? The shorter distance to the edge of the skin would make it easier to buck the rivets of this middle rib to the skin. Any opinions? (ref drwg #3).

Middle rib

When riveting the nose ribs into the HS skins, the nose ribs are the only thing that should be clecoed in at that time. You simply reach in through the open trailing edge to buck the rivets. (Although I found it necessary to have a helper shoot the twelve rivets associated with those ribs while I bucked.) Changing the direction of the rib will likely cause it to be misaligned with the spar rivet holes.

Good luck.
Fred

Fedico94 said:
middle rib of the respective HS half. Can the flange of the middle rib be turned around to point towards the middle of the assemby? The shorter distance to the edge of the skin would make it easier to buck the rivets of this middle rib to the skin. Any opinions? (ref drwg #3).

Don't feel like the lone ranger pal, I had to do mine twice, and ordered a 3rd replacement just in case. Just hang in there, and if you screw one up, e mail me and I will send you my spare for free so you dont have to pay Vans for the part, and S&H.

THAT nose rib on the RV-9(A) HS...

We have all fought that one. Since it is the first thing to be riveted on the entire airplane, our skills and courage are not good. I have seen the results on my RV-9A and others. Just make sure you don't use too much air pressure on the 2X rivet gun, or you will find the skin over the rib gets depressed. I have filler on my HS over those ribs that went on in the paint shop. When you see an RV-9(A) with no visible rivets on the top side of the HS, you know why.

One builder I have met actually put shims between the center nose rib and the skins to avoid the problem.

Look at the last photo at the bottom of this page to see what I am talking about. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a145.htm

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
Hobbs = 212.5 hours

FredMagare said:
Changing the direction of the rib will likely cause it to be misaligned with the spar rivet holes.
Good luck.
Fred
I agree. I reached down in to buck, but taking an end rib out to buck should work, too. And yes, I did an unsatisfactory job the first time, too.
Make sure the flange of the rib is against the skin when you rivet. Everybody tweaks the flange to be as near perfect as possible, but most of the time in that particular spot when you're ready to rivet it just won't lay flush!
There are a few different ways to get it to lay flush, but what I did is cut a piece of fish tank air tubing about the same length as the rivet, and (with the rivet in place) slipped it over the rivet. Then rivet/buck normally. The tubing presses the flange to the skin before the rivet starts to set, and falls off or is easily pulled off when done riveting. Sorry - no pictures.
You can probably find variations on the theme by searching the forums...

Nose rib on HS

thanks for the information. The rubber tube on the rivet sounds interesting will test this out. I am interested in process to help other builders speed along construction and insure a good finished Project for ourselves. I will post a web site with my builders log in the next two months.

Fedico94 said:
I am interested in process to help other builders speed along construction and insure a good finished Project for ourselves.

In order to achieve this goal, I'd suggest you take your time - in a hurry! :D

Seriously though, I believe many problems occur when builders don't fully understand what it is they're trying to do (or in what order). I've personally made speedy progress on assembly of some part only to find out I've backed myself into a corner (i.e. unable to install or buck specific rivets due to setting another set of rivets). I spend a great deal of time now researching the problems others run into now before I attempt a particular contruction. (That's the great thing about this website!)

Good luck.
Fred

Back