What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-714 Taper Angle

Stalldog

Well Known Member
Quick question.

I?ve tapered HS-710 per the drawing, and it says to taper HS-714 similar. Does that mean to maintain the R1/4 and taper back 2.5 inches from the end, which will be at a greater taper angle since HS-714 is 1 inch wide and HS-710 is only .75 inches wide, or does it mean to maintain the same taper angle as HS-710 and extend the taper back further on HS-714? That would extend the taper back about 4.75 inches from the end of HS-714?

Thanks

I read it as 2.5" back with a slightly larger angle. I'm just barely past that point myself, though. :)

(I ended up sending a pic of that completed part to Van's for a different (edge-distance) question, and they didn't alert me to any problems FWIW.)

Thanks, Rick. I've seen some pictures of others' parts and it looked like the same taper angle was taken further back, but that could be just my take on it.

Maybe I'll send a note to Van's to double check. Just don't want to have an interference problem later when it will be difficult to take off more material.

Jim
Just measure back 2.5 like plans suggest. Establish your R1/4 and connect the dots. Just be cautious about removing material for the R1/4. You'll find that the end of the 710/714 leaves just enough material to establish the minimum edge distance and not much more.
Have fun.

Yep, Arnie & Rick, Van's confirmed that you are correct, both pieces are to be tapered 2.5 inches back from the end.

Probably overly cautious on my part, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for your responses.

Back