What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-702 question

mototopo

Well Known Member
I'm ready to match drill the holes on HS-405 and HS-404 rib's on my empennage but I stopped because I noticed that, when clamped to the skin, the HS-405 rib push the HS-702 spar a little forward. I was concerned about the edge distance of the holes on HS-702 flange so I marked the hole position and measured. On the inboard hole (the one closest to HS-405 rib) I have just 0.196" that is the minimum edge distance allowed for a 3/32" rivet, but a little less of the edge distance of the prepunched holes already present on the HS-702 flange (the edge distance become greater going outboard).

Am I ok or should I make any correction? I'm unable to push HS-702 backward because it's already in contact with HS-405's flange (that is clecoed to the rear spar) so I don't have space to move it.
Thanks!

Claudio,

I just did this a few weeks ago on my HS. Make sure that the flange on the 405 and 404 are sitting flush to the 702 spar. If they angle out it can effect the 702 spar with relation to the 801 skin. I did not have an issue with this on my kit. However, you more than likely will find that after you match drill the 801 skin holes to the 405 rib, the forward most holes in the 405 rib will not have the minimum edge distance of 2D. I wrote Van's builder support and they said this has been an issue since the RV-4, they said that it was OK to build on with the less than 2D edge distance. The holes in my 702 spar kit nearly centered on the 702 flange. You might want to draw a center line then cleco it back in place and see how the holes line up. I hope this helps.

Ciao

Back