What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS 702 Hand Holding

330Jock

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hey Guys I need your help. Just attempted relief holes in my hs702's. The 702 on the bottom of the picture is the one I'm concerned about. The step drill (or operator) was a little too aggressive and went deeper than I wanted. I dressed it out as smoothly as I could, but am wondering if it is just too deep or is it OK? The top 702 came out a little better because I used a Dremel after reading about it in a post last night. Much more control and less aggressive. Thanks in advance for the help.
DSCN0173.jpg

Email Van's, just to be sure.

I did the same thing...not as big, but bigger than normal. No issue here.

DP

Looks like

-you have way more than 2d edge distance. My advice is to build-on. If you're still concerned, call Van's...

702's Help

Thanks Terry & Don for your posts and your help. I am a little disappointed I didn't here from more people. Safety in numbers and all that. Where are all the DAR's, Tech counselors, etc. I usually see on VAF? this is the second time I've asked for help since I actually started building and only received a couple of responses. Oh well, I guess I really need to find a local Tech counselor to use as a resource. Does anyone know who that might be in the Tidewater area?

I am a little disappointed I didn't here from more people. Safety in numbers and all that. Where are all the DAR's, Tech counselors, etc. I usually see on VAF? this is the second time I've asked for help since I actually started building and only received a couple of responses. Oh well, I guess I really need to find a local Tech counselor to use as a resource. Does anyone know who that might be in the Tidewater area?

So you want "free" service, and dangit, you want it on YOUR terms? ;)

There is a huge amount of talent and experience here on VAF, but the weather is exceptionally nice in some parts of the country, and many might be flying...or just not logging in. And lots of times, when it comes to allowances and structural issues, the right answer is to email a picture to the factory to get a real answer.

A local Tech Counselor is a very good idea - and not just in terms of "OK, it's time for an inspection, I'll find a T/C". Build a relationship with someone local that can drop by (or you can drop in on) when you want something looked at. As a T/C, there are a number of local builders who drop by my hanagr with parts on weekends to haev them checked, and I am happy to do so if I am available. That's how we build a community.

Sterling at Van's Said:

"These are a little deeper than we would normally like to see."
I don't really know what that means. Is my hs702 scrap, or build on? Thanks for any other help anyone can give.

Paul, I didn't realize I was supposed to send money to anyone other than DR. Could you let me know where else I am supposed to send money so I don't solicit any more "free" advice!
I'm just a brand new builder trying to make sense of this daunting task! If I've offended anyone by asking for help I am sorry!

There are going to be a LOT of little events like this along the way during your build. You have to decide what level of build quality you want to achieve. If you can't get the mothership or builders you trust to give you a firm up or down, then it would probably be wise to error on the side of replacing parts.

That said, the 9 stab is different so I can't offer any specific advice here.

Edit:

Another thought -- I'm not sure if the instructions explicitly instructed you to use a step drill, but building my 9A gave me a much greater appreciation for hand files. It's much easier to do precisely what you want with a hand file. I've accumulated a nice collection of different shapes and sizes of files. Unlike power tools, it's much harder to get overzealous with a hand file.

Last edited:
Paul, I didn't realize I was supposed to send money to anyone other than DR. Could you let me know where else I am supposed to send money so I don't solicit any more "free" advice!
I'm just a brand new builder trying to make sense of this daunting task! If I've offended anyone by asking for help I am sorry!

Not trying to offend you !

We are all here to help Bill (when we're here) - I've been here for years, and don't make a penny off of VAF - I just think that complaining about folks not answering your post in less than 24 hours strikes the wrong chord.

My 2 cents worth

Bill, I think the answer you got from Van's is in a bit of a grey area. Up to now, the issues I have asked Van's about was either--"it's ok, build on" or "replace and start again". By leaving the answer in between go or no go, it sorta puts the issue in your lap. You will find there are plenty of opportunities for a "do-over" while building--myself and many others have had them. Better to be re-doing in your shop, than wishing you had while in the air. If it was mine, I think I'd replace it and move ahead. I have my share of scraped parts, but they serve as a reminder that replacement was probably a wise decision. After all, it's only time and money--both of which are meaningless compared to life. Build on--

Steve
Skyking902001
RV8 fuse in process

702 Hand Holding

Thanks for the replies guys, especially those of you who gave useful information and your opinion on the question actually asked. if it weren't the spars I would probably build on. This will just be my first contribution to the scrap pile. I guess it's sorta like the 1st scratch on a new car, once it's over you don't have to freak about it any more!

Back