What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-603PP

MH53EDriver

I'm New Here
Greetings,

I'm a first-time builder and am building the horizontal stabilizer portion of my empennage kit and want to remove the portion of the lower flnges (to accomodate the elevator horns) on the rear spar before I begin assembling the structure. Refer to DWG 3 and DWG 27A. I'm not clear in understanding whether the "1" means to remove one inch from each flange or not. Can someone suggest the minimal amount of material to remove from each flange. I just think it will be easier to make the cuts now before assembly as opposed to later. Also feel free to add any tips or suggestions or lessons learned. Thanks in advance to all and Happy Easter.

Rob.

Do them in assembly, when you are rigging the elevators, if you want to remove the minimal amount. The exact amount depends on some variables, such as the exact hinge geometry in your assembly (the steel hinge points are fairly consistent but the rod ends can vary slightly). What many people do is mark the ends of the notch and then use a dremel tool or files to cut between the marks iteratively until the notch is deep enough to allow full play (plus a tiny bit) for the elevator.

Back