What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How your brain can be fooled

Already posted

This was already posted recently. Still good for those who didn't see it before.

This only happens because it is being viewed with two eyes. Close one eye and all dots stay. This is an example of lost vision in a slider or any other aircraft that has any bars blocking your view.

Correction: See post 8

Last edited:
This only happens because it is being viewed with two eyes. Close one eye and all dots stay. This is an example of lost vision in a slider or any other aircraft that has any bars blocking your view.

Not so with me. I tried it with one eye closed, and at times all three yellow dots were gone.

Thanks az_gila, this is good stuff! I never had seen it before.

Same here. So much for the roll bar theory....
So, I went back and concentrated harder on the green dot with one eye and sure enough, the yellow dots did disappear.

As far as the roll bar theory, it is a fact that an aircraft can hide behind the roll bar blocking one eye and be in the blind spot of the other eye.

The blind spot (optic disc) is where the neurons from the retina leave the eye as the optic nerve; there are no photo receptors at that place.

It is there, in both eyes, all the time, but you don't notice it when both eyes are open because the optic disc is not in the same corresponding place in both eyes. When an image falls on the blind spot in the right eye, it is not falling on the blind spot in the left eye. When the brain merges the images, you don't notice the missing area.

Is it a bad thing if I hear Jimmy Hendrix's "Purple Haze" or other Woodstock tunes when I stare at this thing? :confused:

;)

Last edited:
So, I went back and concentrated harder on the green dot with one eye and sure enough, the yellow dots did disappear.

As far as the roll bar theory, it is a fact that an aircraft can hide behind the roll bar blocking one eye and be in the blind spot of the other eye.

Happily, my eyes & head are constantly moving with scans. But it IS, reassuring............that I can duck behind the roll bar, when it's imminent that a bird is just about to come crashing through.... :D

I tried it on my boss today and it wouldn't work. Not matter how hard I concentrated on the green dot, he wouldn't disappear:)

Seriously, though, I found it fascinating that even with the largest dots, I found they still disappeared. Pretty educational, thanks for posting this.

Rob
Flying RV-7A

Back