What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Wire - Vans Flap Switch ?

Fearless

Well Known Member
Would someone be kind enough to show me how to wire the tabs on the standard Vans flap switch that comes with a 9A. It has 6 tabs on the back.
It is a (ON) - OFF - (ON) switch. I do have the AeroElectric manual but I probably need a copy of Electrical Airplane Wiring for Dummies instead.

A diagram or description of what wires go to which tab would be nice.

/1 2\
|3 4|
\5 6/

Connect the - power to 5 and 2
Connect the + power to 6 and 1
Connect the flap motor leads to 3 and 4
If the motor runs opposite what you want you can either change power leads or switch 3 and 4...

an alternative is:

Connect the - power to 3
Connect the + power to 4
Connect one leg of the flap motor to 5 and 2
Connect the other leg of the flap motor to 6 and 1
This does the same thing.....

Last edited:
Our VP-50 wiring diagram here shows how to wire it. Just focus on the flap switch part.

Worth a thousand words

Thanks guys

That did it for me - I think it was the jumper part that was getting me.

I hope to take the EAA Sportair Electrical class once one gets closer to my home. I am starting to use the tools I got from Stein (shameless plug). Now I just need to learn how to use them correctly.

Wiring for Dummies...

Would someone be kind enough to show me how to wire the tabs on the standard Vans flap switch that comes with a 9A. It has 6 tabs on the back.
It is a (ON) - OFF - (ON) switch. I do have the AeroElectric manual but I probably need a copy of Electrical Airplane Wiring for Dummies instead.

A diagram or description of what wires go to which tab would be nice.

..is too advanced for me. I need "Aircraft wiring for Cretons."

LarryT

switch wiring

Here's an image of wiring the flap switch from one of AeroElectric's schematics.

nd76t0.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
You can put some markings on the wings at the various flap positions (which I intend to do) put not sure how visable they would be at night. The CFI I did some transition training used this method for flap deployment.

can flap position be seen out of slider canopy while flying?

I use 3 second bursts for flap positioning.

3 seconds on downwind
3 seconds on base
3 seconds on final

That usually leaves about 1 second of travel unused. On the RV-7/9 the flap motor is right beside my seat, so I can hear when the flap motor reaches the end of travel.

Back