What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to store an RV8 QB fuselage.

SwissVolts

I am thinking of different possibilities... since my workshop is small I would like to leave the fuselage outside, until I finish the empennage and the wings.

The only place where I can fit the big QB box is on the side of an open garage, that is, there is a roof and 3 walls but the front is open.

In Switzerland it rains a lot and the humidity in my area is high, I was wondering what you think about leaving the fuselage in these conditions for some time... I hope to have the empennage and wings ready in about 6 months, but it can also take a little longer...

Does it come well protected? wrapped in plastic maybe? Perhaps I can stuff desiccant material inside to keep the humidity controlled and get an outer plastic sleeve to completely cover the box.

The other option is to put the box in the construction area against a wall with some wheels underneath, but I don't have much room, just over 7x5 meters...

Thanks for your opinions!

I am thinking of different possibilities... since my workshop is small I would like to leave the fuselage outside, until I finish the empennage and the wings.

The only place where I can fit the big QB box is on the side of an open garage, that is, there is a roof and 3 walls but the front is open.

In Switzerland it rains a lot and the humidity in my area is high, I was wondering what you think about leaving the fuselage in these conditions for some time... I hope to have the empennage and wings ready in about 6 months, but it can also take a little longer...

Does it come well protected? wrapped in plastic maybe? Perhaps I can stuff desiccant material inside to keep the humidity controlled and get an outer plastic sleeve to completely cover the box.

The other option is to put the box in the construction area against a wall with some wheels underneath, but I don't have much room, just over 7x5 meters...

Thanks for your opinions!

Do you possibly have room to hang it from the ceiling inside your closed shop area?

Shipping container

If you have room in your yard to put it, one of those steel shipping containers are great for storage. They’re water tight, come in various sizes, and you can pick one up fairly cheap.

If the temperature is constant in the garage and there is not condensation and any spray can be kept off with a plastic cover then I think it would be OK, similar conditions in fact to many planes that sit in unheated hangars and moreover the QB has been primed.
Is there an option of putting a door onto the garage to close all 4 sides?
And what about a storage unit somewhere, if not too expensive in Switzerland? :eek:

If you have a boatyard/marine dealer reasonably close by, you might consider leaving it crated, toss in a bunch of the bigger desiccant bags and have them shrink wrap the entire crate.

If you have room in your yard to put it, one of those steel shipping containers are great for storage. They’re water tight, come in various sizes, and you can pick one up fairly cheap.

Maybe not. Remember, he lives in a land locked country

I live in S Florida and those shipping containers have become ridiculously expensive, even worn out, unseaworthy ones. The ocean doesn't need to be nearby, they load them on trucks too.

Back