What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to splice longerons?

tikicarver

Well Known Member
I'm doing a repair on a -4 tail and I need to splice in a new section of longeron.
I called Van's today and they were not much help. Basically the guy told me to follow the guidance in AC 43.13. Guess they don't want to give specific repair advice..
However he mentioned that they do a splice of aluminum angle in the -10.
I wasn't clear if this is part of the normal construction or if it was a repair.

Can someone building a -10 tell me if there is a place in the plans where you splice two pieces of angle together. If so, how do you do it?

Longerons in the -10

To join the tailcone to the main fuselage, two overlapping longeron segments are created with a ~3-inch common face and four #5 bolts to join them. The forward longeron is a downward-facing L, flat sides up and out; the aft longeron segment is an upward-facing L, flat side down and out. The common flat surface is the attach point, as shown in the picture.

rt_longeron.jpg

Ignore the duct tape, it is to temporarily hold a shim between the upper long and skin.

Doug.

Back