What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How To Safety a Hose Clamp

David Paule

Well Known Member
Sometimes folks with ultralights have a good idea. I learned this one some time ago when I changed engines on my non-RV. An FAA inspector showed it to me. I shared this with the other mentors at the local high school RV-12iS project and it was news to them, so here it is.

Thanks to Jack Hart and his Kolb Firefly.

Dave

Probably don't creep loose, i.e. the screw is unlikely to turn. The typical slotted hose clamp relaxes because the rubber hose extrudes through the slots over time. The typical failure mode is stripping the crossbars between slots.

Lycoming has to be the last OEM in the world still installing slotted hose clamps on fluid lines. Save them for SCAT duct and the like.

If you must use a hose clamp on a fluid line, buy some slotless ABA or similar. Of use what the auto parts store calls a "fuel injection clamp" if the hose is small. Or use any one of many types of constant tension spring clamp, automotive practice since forever.

Attachments

• Fig12.jpg
    Fig12.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Fig13.jpg
    Fig13.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Extruded rubber oil return hose.jpg
    Extruded rubber oil return hose.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1235 1000w.jpg
    IMG_1235 1000w.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 112
We use lots of NAS1922 hose clamps at work, and the install torque is only about 12 lb/in on them. Typical problem is not them loosening up, but people over tightening them.

EGT probe clamps....

I would recommend using the safety wire on the hose clamp style EGT probes.

Seems like a good idea. If they are newly placed, it is recommended that you run them 10 hours or so, then check to see if they are still tight. If so, then safety them into place......if you can get to them.....:rolleyes:

Waste of time IMO, just check em now and then (which safeties prevent).

Probably don't creep loose, i.e. the screw is unlikely to turn. The typical slotted hose clamp relaxes because the rubber hose extrudes through the slots over time. The typical failure mode is stripping the crossbars between slots.

Lycoming has to be the last OEM in the world still installing slotted hose clamps on fluid lines. Save them for SCAT duct and the like.

If you must use a hose clamp on a fluid line, buy some slotless ABA or similar. Of use what the auto parts store calls a "fuel injection clamp" if the hose is small. Or use any one of many types of constant tension spring clamp, automotive practice since forever.

I agree with Walt and Dan.
Properly selected and installed hose clamps will not loosen up. My preference is to always use the constant tension clamps when possible. I have discussed this with a couple of different people at lycoming in the past, and they have said they thought it was a very good idea, but then nothing has ever happened regarding a change.

Back