What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove magneto spacer?

tass

I’m trying to remove the impulse magneto spacer. I’ve got the left mag off, wrapped my fingers around the spacer, pull enough to slightly move the plane but the spacer won’t budge.

Is there a trick? I don’t know what tools are OK to use. I will be removing the studs, so maybe studs before spacer? I have a stud remover on order from Amazon - the one recommended in kitplanes.

I’m installing electronic ignition, and need to use the spacer in the right side to give the ignition pack mounting plate clearance from the motor mount. Maybe there’s another alternative? Someone has a spacer and studs they don’t need?

Post a picture so we can tell that the spacer is there and you aren’t just pulling on the accessory case.. the spacer should just come off.. probably just a stick gasket.. take a wooden down and a hammer and give it a few taps. Do NOT stick anything in to wedge it off the accessory case, that’s a sure way to cause leaks in the future.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m 99% sure, since there’s a paper gasket behind it but I’ve attached a pic. I’ll try with a dowel as suggested.
IMG_0874.jpg

Yup, that’s the spacer.. there should be enough slack on the studs that you could whack it loose to loosen the gasket without pilling the studs first.. try a wooden dowel or even a 1x2 piece of wood, whatever it takes to knock it loose. Maybe warming it with a Harbor Freight heat gun might help soften the gasket adhesives, but either way, you’ll get it.

Yup, that’s the spacer.. there should be enough slack on the studs that you could whack it loose to loosen the gasket without pilling the studs first.. try a wooden dowel or even a 1x2 piece of wood, whatever it takes to knock it loose. Maybe warming it with a Harbor Freight heat gun might help soften the gasket adhesives, but either way, you’ll get it.

Rubber mallet or dead blow hammer should work work.

yeah, those gaskets get to be like adhesive after several years. Take a small and thin putty knife and file the edge to a one sided taper, like a knife. Insert into the gap where the gasket is and tap a bit with a light hammer.

yeah, those gaskets get to be like adhesive after several years. Take a small and thin putty knife and file the edge to a sharp, one sided taper, like a knife. Insert into the gap where the gasket is and tap a bit with a light hammer. Don';t hit the insert with a hammer. Too easy to break off the studs and make a mess.

Back