What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove alternator mount bolts?

tass

I’m in the middle of swapping out my alternator with a b&c - the existing one wasn’t putting out enough juice, and also making quite a bit of noise on the headsets.

I just finished rearranging the firewall to fit the new regulator which tested fine.

However, I can’t figure out how to unbend the tabs on the current alternator mount so I can replace it with the new one. I can’t quite fit a slot screwdriver between the tabs and the bolt, and am afraid of rounding the bolt head if I try to just force them open by fitting a wrench as deep as I can get it.

Does anyone know any tricks? I haven’t tried too hard since I don’t want to damage anything, so maybe the trick is just to get in there and not be afraid.

A sharpened wood chisel would work to get the tap opened up enough for a screw driver. A heaver box cutter razor blade would work also with a hammer to get it started.

A small sharp cold chisel is a common method to bend the tab away from the bolt. Then a flat punch to straighten the tab.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Back