What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to make flap removal easy?

rvator51

Well Known Member
Any ideas on how to install piano hinge for flaps so that it is easily removable in the future?

Any ideas on how to install piano hinge for flaps so that it is easily removable in the future?

I don't have a pic handy, but it's where the pin is split at the middle. You just pull from both directions, and it's an easy one man job.

Two center eyes are removed. You use a 1/2 pin and install it from the canter pointing out. Secure the two tails and you are done.

In the 7 plans they suggested two ways. One was a long full length pin, the other was to remove two lugs in the middle of the hinges and use two, half length pins. This is what I did as well. Bent the ends 90 degrees to make a handle and I put a nut plate under the handle and I secure it with a little tab of aluminum held against the handle with a screw through it into the nut plate. My pictures are a mess (next big project is to organize them!) or I would include a picture.

Plus 1 on previous post. I thought I had a photo but can't find it.

Flap removal is really easy.

Dan

I have one long pin inserted through a hole in the inboard aileron hinge bracket.
The hole is slightly off alignment so that the pin will not come out on it's own.

I use one long pin

On the inboard end of the flap I formed the extended length of the pins to contain an eye that is routed to the location of the aft lower wing skin to fuselage bottom skin interface screw. They are exposed similar in concept to the Van's method of securing the hinge pins in the cowl.

For removal I remove the screw, rotate the hinge pin extension down and it serves as a handle for pulling it out.

Bob Axsom

Back