What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get wiring into center cabin cover?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a picture of how to get wiring from the instrument panel area down into the center cabin cover? For example, the fuel pump wire? I'd also like to run several other wires under the center cabin cover back to the wing spar, and beyond.

I don't want to run the wires through the cabin heat box area, so I imagine I have to cut into the cover somewhere?

This is on an RV-9A, but I'm sure a -7A would be identical.

Thanks for any info!

Dave there is a drawing depicting this. Great starting point from where to where and how. I am at work now will look for it tomorrow and post. I also copied some pictures from builders websites (now defunct) and can email them to you.

There are cut outs in the forward portion of the center tunnel cover. If you have an A model the brake lines go in the tunnel from the left side. You can proabably snake a conduit down both sides of the heat box, then go into the tunnel through the cut out. That is what I'm planning on doing, but I'm not there yet!

OP-30 drawing

shows where wire bunch goes.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

A cutout for conduit can be made in cover to allow conduit or wire bundle get inside.

Thanks Vlad - I had misplaced my OP-30... sure wish these were electronic.

It's a tight fit to get the conduit by the fuel pump!

Dave,
I am still looking for a neat picture I had somewhere. It shows how the guy got it right. Will post as soon as I find it. It was either Scott or Walter don't remember.

Here you go, Dave. Just route the conduit under the fuel pump and it will go right through the notch provide in the center tunnel/heater box cover.

Also, you probably didn't have the drawing (shown by Vlad), the optional "OP" drawing, if you did not buy them separately from Van's. They come with the wiring harness but can also be purchased separately, which is what I did.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all - I mounted the conduit like you guys did. It is very tight so I put some anti-chafe tape on the fuel line to keep the conduit from rubbing it.

Back