What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Fix Collapsed Wingtip?

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
In the process of fitting the wingtips, I noticed that one of the wingtips is "collapsed" (innie instead of an outie) in the middle. If you press on it from the inside, it doesn't exactly "pop" into shape as one would hope (it seems you need to apply specific pressure throught the depression to contour the rest of the tip). I know people have made ribs to prevent this from happening in flight, but I need to first establish the right contours before doing anything.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, how did you address it? Making a perpendicular rib or even spoxing a balsa dowel rod lengthwise would stiffen it, but I am more concerned with achieving the perfect contour so that it doesn't look funny when paint is applied.

Thanks,
Scott

I had the same problem. Do not glue or put anything inside until it is fitted to the wing. I got the "dents" out by using a heat gun and a gloved hand. Slowly heat it up and rub out the dent. The surface gets pliable when hot. As it cools you keep rubbing out the surface until it reaches room temp. I got rid of all my "dents" this way.

Attach it to the wingtip and the contour will form up correctly.

It does take time and patience.

-Ron

Dittos with what Ron said. Any misshapened fiberglass part will reshape using a heat gun or high watt hairdryer. Do wear heavy gloves!!!

Roberta

Different approach

Stuff the wing tip with newspaper and get the proper shape. It is easy to do. Set in the sun for a couple of days and it will form properly. Once shaped moved to cooler atmoshphere.

Classic solution for a PHX guy!!!! :D :cool: :D

Seems like 40 straight days of rain in TX

Joe

RV7Guy said:
Stuff the wing tip with newspaper and get the proper shape. It is easy to do. Set in the sun for a couple of days and it will form properly. Once shaped moved to cooler atmoshphere.

Last edited:
Back