What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to combat middle-aged sag.......!!!!

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
okay, I guess we've all come to expect a little of that....:)

but, now with 100 hours, I see the conical mount on my -9a has sagged about 1/2". ( carb'ed 0-320, FP)
not a problem with the cowl touching the spinner....yet...but some preventative action is wise.....

What's the best and/or simplest way to correct this?
New lower mounts, new uppers?
Shim the lower engine mount at the firewall?
Fly inverted for the next 100 hrs??? :)

thanks for any feedback!

Which mounts did you use?

With my O-290 I had solid rubber mounts and was going to repace them withh Loard mounts.

The solid rubber mounts deform and just continue to deform.

wish mine would sag ...

On the advice of several people, I installed my cowl about 3/8" below the spinner aft edge, so they would align when the inevitable sag took place. The engine has been hung now for almost 2 1/2 yrs, and I now have 15 flying hours on it, but there has been no perceptible sag in the engine and spinner. So my sight picture over the nose when flying has a 3/8" annular ring view of the spinner backplate. :(

lord mounts....for conical?

Which mounts did you use?

With my O-290 I had solid rubber mounts and was going to repace them with Loard mounts.

The solid rubber mounts deform and just continue to deform.

Bill,
I only see Lord mounts to replace OEM dynafocal type biscuit mounts.....if they have something exotic for conical, I didn't find it, but their site punted me out before I had a chance to look much.

probable cause????

On the advice of several people, I installed my cowl about 3/8" below the spinner aft edge, so they would align when the inevitable sag took place. The engine has been hung now for almost 2 1/2 yrs, and I now have 15 flying hours on it, but there has been no perceptible sag in the engine and spinner. So my sight picture over the nose when flying has a 3/8" annular ring view of the spinner backplate. :(

Terry,
you just land waaaaaaaaay too gently! :)

...or, try letting a couple pounds of air out of the nosewheel???

sorry, nothing but wisecracks today!

sounds to me like you could slice an 1/8" off the back of the top mount and gain a degree or two. ( Caution, it may not climb as well as it did before!?!?!)

Lord conical mounts

Bill,
I only see Lord mounts to replace OEM dynafocal type biscuit mounts.....if they have something exotic for conical, I didn't find it, but their site punted me out before I had a chance to look much.

I had this problem on my Citabria years ago, and replaced the standard conical mounts with special conical Lord mounts. Solved the problem, lasted a long time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I hate it! I have over 60 hours on the plane with no perceptible sag but with an ugly site picture.

Patience

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I hate it! I have over 60 hours on the plane with no perceptible sag but with an ugly site picture.

Give us an update at 3 years and 300 hours.

Jerry, please help out here; your plane (now mine) is over 5 years old and the spinner/cowl match is perfect. How did you do it?

Give us an update at 3 years and 300 hours.

Jerry, please help out here; your plane (now mine) is over 5 years old and the spinner/cowl match is perfect. How did you do it?

Hi Dale,

Before it was painted and while flying off the time, I trimmed the back of the cowling to fit better, flew some more, seemed stable so then painted same. Nothing real special the sag was minor.

Back