What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to clean the clecos?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So I just finished setting up the trailing edge of the rudder with ProSeal and am now waiting for it to cure. I'm wondering what (if any) miracle product is going to help clean up the holes and the clecos themselves once I remove them. I've read about people "soaking them" but can't a reference to what is being used to try to remove some of the proseal. Also, what attempt should be made to remove any residue from the surface of the skins as well? I wiped them down on both sides before it set, but I'm imaging there will be something somewhere that will need some post-cure clean up.

Just run a drill but through the holes to remove some of the proseal. They don't need anymore cleaning than enough to get the rivet into position.

You'll be surprised at how clean your clecos come out. You'll probably be able to pull any residue off by hand. MEK always works with some effort and time, but I don't think you'll ever need it.

Second that. I just use a hand 3-flute deburring bit to clean out the countersinks in the trailing edges - lightly! I have a set of clecos that have been used with proseal; I never bothered cleaning them and they are fine but I make sure that they are the ones used in future prosealing tasks. I also have a similar set used for fiberglass but they get dumped in a jar of MEK after use and then dried and shot with WD-40. Before re-using, they get another MEK rinse so they don't contaminate the resin.

Proseal makes clecos better

I was worried about cleaning clecos after building the fuel tanks. I got busy and forgot to clean them when the proseal was still a little soft. Those are now the clecos I reach for first especially the ones where the proseal is on the end that touches the skin. It's like they have those protective plastic socks on them. I actually considered dipping the ends of all my clecos in proseal but that sounded too crazy. I now don't see a practical reason to clean a cleco unless the function of the cleco itself is impared.

Cleaning Clecos

I have heard that an ultrasonic cleaner will remove proseal. Don't have one and I haven't tried it, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap used ultrasonic cleaner.

If you must clean them, wait until the proseal is cured. Or almost cured and kind of rubbery. Your fingers can easily pull off the little blobs. Build on.

I was worried about cleaning clecos after building the fuel tanks. I got busy and forgot to clean them when the proseal was still a little soft. Those are now the clecos I reach for first especially the ones where the proseal is on the end that touches the skin. It's like they have those protective plastic socks on them. I actually considered dipping the ends of all my clecos in proseal but that sounded too crazy. I now don't see a practical reason to clean a cleco unless the function of the cleco itself is impared.

Larry what I found out hard way is that a tiny piece of cured proseal may get trapped where you do not need it while riveting. For match drilling it's ok to use prosealed clecoes the pieces will be disassembled for debur/dimple/cleaning. But for final fastening before riveting it's better to use clean ones. Just an observation and little experience.

Indeed they came out amazingly clean. A little gob here or there, but nothing to be worried about. Think I will just mix them back into the master pile.

Back