What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to attach tailcone fairing (stinger) nutplates?

CTCole

KAI Chapter 12, page 10, steps 4 & 6 call for dimpling the aft end of the tailcone for nutplates, and then riveting those in place. However, at this stage all the empennage is installed (unlike the Figure 1, which omits them), and there isn't room for a squeezer yoke to reach the nutplate holes.

How have others resolved this problem?

--CT Cole

KAI Chapter 12, page 10, steps 4 & 6 call for dimpling the aft end of the tailcone for nutplates, and then riveting those in place. However, at this stage all the empennage is installed (unlike the Figure 1, which omits them), and there isn't room for a squeezer yoke to reach the nutplate holes.

How have others resolved this problem?

--CT Cole

Remove the stabilator.

Having it installed while mounting the tail cone to the fwd fuselage is very awkward and somewhat risky.

It is documented early because it needed to be done somewhere in the KAI and needs to be in place when fitting the aft fairing, but it is best if it is off for the rest of the build until you are just about ready to fly.

Thanks, Scott. I assume I'll have to remove the rudder & vertical stabilizer, too. (The tailcone is already attached to the fuselage).

--Chris Cole

Thanks, Scott. I assume I'll have to remove the rudder & vertical stabilizer, too. (The tailcone is already attached to the fuselage).

--Chris Cole

Yes, or you could use a CCR blind rivet on the inboard leg of the upper most nutplates that will be close to the vertical stabilizer.

Back