What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to assemble exhaust ball joint clamps?

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am starting the assembly of the stock exhaust system on my RV-14A with the standard IO-390-A3B6 engine. There are two ball joints in the system that are held together by three spring loaded clamps each. I need some advice on how to compress the springs around the AN3 bolts in order to install the washers and nuts. The springs are strong and very difficult to compress. Anyone figured out a way to do this job?

If I recall, I used safety wire to compress the clamp enough to get the nut on then removed the safety wire and continued tightening the nut.

I think I found the problem: the springs provided are almost 3" long and the solid height is so long there are no threads sticking through to put the washer and nut on. I will call Van's in the morning to discuss.

I think I found the problem: the springs provided are almost 3" long and the solid height is so long there are no threads sticking through to put the washer and nut on. I will call Van's in the morning to discuss.
I just replaced mine at the last condition inspection and purchased stainless versions from McMaster-Carr. They are 1" uncompressed.

Back