What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to approach the end point

jdiehl

Well Known Member
I believe that I've finally reached the point where my 7A is done. There's just not much more I can do. The new Lycoming still has the preservative in it, the encoding altimeter hasn't been calibrated, and I have not yet contacted anyone concerning the inspection. A local A&P will assist in the first engine start. I am hoping that the FAA may do the signoff. If that doesn't work, I'll track down a DAR, however there are none nearbye. I feel that I'm going into a new and unfamiliar phase of the project as I try to bring it all to an end. Once I get the 'signoff', I'll seek transition training. My uncertainty is how to approach these final tasks in an efficient manner. I'd guess that I'm not alone.

Jim Diehl N891DD
Based at Lock Haven Pa

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get the transition training first, you might pick up on something you would like to do a bit different in the plane before the inspection.

I used the FAA, had to wait a couple weeks for a date, but saved $$$.

Have you gotten all the paper work going???

If not, get the EAA registration packet, and follow it exactly.

Good luck, will be waiting for photos of the grin:D

I agree,
I'm nearly there myself.
I look at this like anything else important in life.
Those that have gone before do not think it such a big deal. But for you and me and the other first time builders, it's a big mystery and a big deal.
I have my N number assigned, and the airframe is up at the airport.
I'm just finishing the fuel system, and then it could taxi about and maybe fly...:eek:
But I really have a lot of work to do.
I keep re-reading the EAA pack that has all the forms, placards and instructions.
I also ask the guys at our EAA Chapter what they did etc.
You will 'get 'er done!'

endpoint

Mike,
I've used the EAA packet to complete all of the paperwork. Other than addressing the fine points, it's DONE. I was hoping to hold off on the transition training 'till after the signoff so as to minimize the time between the signoff and first flight.

Jim

Mike, I was hoping to hold off on the transition training 'till after the signoff so as to minimize the time between the signoff and first flight.

Jim

Makes sense to me, figured that was what you were going for.

Go for it.

What I did...

1. I got an EAA Tech counselor to look over my project a week before the DAR inspector was scheduled. He gave me a list of things to work on.

2. Got some transition training during this time.

3. A week later the DAR signed off on the airplane.

4. I had my transition training instructor do the first flight for me a few days after the DAR inspection.

5. The next day; Phase 1 testing! :D

Would do it the same way again.

.. My uncertainty is how to approach these final tasks in an efficient manner. I'd guess that I'm not alone. Jim Diehl N891DD Based at Lock Haven Pa

Make a list ... check it thrice ...

POH done?
Flight Test Plan done?
Weight and Balance done?
Check EVERYTHING?
Have someone else check EVERYTHING?
Have an Tech Counselor check EVERYTHING?
Check EVERYTHING AGAIN?
Have someone different than else check EVERYTHING?
Have an A&P check EVERYTHING?
Check EVERYTHING AGAIN?
Have an IA check EVERYTHING?
Check that EVERYTHING is torque sealed or pinned?
Check in with flight advisor?
Walk through test flight plan?
Check EVERYTHING AGAIN?
Unusual attitude and control failure training?
Fly first flight in another aircraft?
Assemble ground crew?
Address possible first flight issues?
Check all controls?
Fill aircraft?
Check EVERYTHING FWF?
Flight training/practice?
Start engine?
Check all lines and hoses?
Walk through first flight?
Check all wires, switches, instruments, equipment?
Certify aircraft?
Brief ground crew?
Start engine?
Check all lines and hoses?
Have Spouse check EVERYTHING?
Check EVERYTHING?
Check EVERYTHING AGAIN?
Check EVERYTHING AGAIN?
Have someone else check EVERYTHING?
Brief ground crew?
Start?
Check controls and engine?
1/4 power?
1/2 power?
Full power?
Explore stall speed?
Land?
GRIN?

We had one small squawk in phase I. Don't know how many times we checked EVERYTHING, but is not a single digit number.

Last edited:
Many good suggestions to get you started - but in addition to finding a tech Counselor, find some other builders to come by and start inspecting. Each will find stuff that has been missed, and this will tell you if you are truly as close as you think to being done. A few months back, Bob Collins did this, and come up with quite a list to work off - and he'd done a pretty good job!

Paul

Pre-inspection/s

Many good suggestions to get you started - but in addition to finding a tech Counselor, find some other builders to come by and start inspecting. Each will find stuff that has been missed, and this will tell you if you are truly as close as you think to being done. A few months back, Bob Collins did this, and come up with quite a list to work off - and he'd done a pretty good job!

Paul

Finding an EAA tech counselor that is familiar with FAA/DAR inspection is a proven way to secure your confidence for the actual inspection.

I did this and it revealed several issues that would have been minor gigs. As Paul mentioned above, I also had other builders pre-inspect my work, that had done recent inspections with the specific FAA inspector. All FAA/DAR inspectors have their own pet peeves. I have seen this over items that were not even required. Safety issues are sometimes pushed and can delay an inspection approval until complied with. Paul's idea is smart.

I'm about there myself. I have to install the windshield, lay up the fairing for same, install cowl fasteners and fill a bunch of pinholes in various fiberglass parts. All the electrical/avionics/panel stuff checks out, engine could be started tomorrow if I put gas and oil in it. Just got a BFR, will start tailwheel training and then transition training with Mike Seager soon. Along with a tech counselor I've had several A&Ps looking over my shoulder in the last few years of building (the upside of building in a hangar, at an airport where I'm surrounded by A&P's). I've looked through the EAA packet a million times, pondered a POH, flight plan, etc.

The paperwork feels overwhelming enough that it is grinding me to a halt. I get asked often why I don't seem more excited, but at this point I feel burned out rather than energetic. I am thinking of closing the hangar door for a few months and finding something else non-aviation to do; hopefully it will seem more interesting again after a break.

Lots of great ideas but I would not worry about the POH. Your Op's limits are considered the POH. You will have plenty of time to develop a handbook if you even choose to do so.
Focus on three things; mechanical safety of your machine(peer review, check/double check), your transition training and mental preparedness, and your first flight plan(check lists, goals, contingency plan, etc...).
Also, have minimums in place for you flight day go/no go decision. Wind, weather, etc... That gives you one less thing to make a decision about when you are standing next to your brand new airplane, all your buddies hanging around, and the pressure is on. Write them down as part of your plan and stick to it!
Break those down into manageable steps so you don't get overwhelmed.

and Lars - sounds like you need someone to take you up flying in their RV. That will get you remotivated.

Lots of great ideas but I would not worry about the POH. Your Op's limits are considered the POH.
Maybe ... and maybe not... depending who does the inspection.
Ours required:
POH
Flight Test Plan
Pitot Static/Transponder Test

Must be an order form somewhere, but ...

...I didn't see it. How do I get the "EAA Packet" ya'll are talking about?

Maybe ... and maybe not... depending who does the inspection.
Ours required:
POH
Flight Test Plan
Pitot Static/Transponder Test

Maybe Mel can chime in, but I don't believe any of those are technically required. Good point though. Once you get that far with an inspector, you'll pretty much do whatever they say to get in the air, and having those things done is not a bad idea.

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but it is a good idea to touch base with your DAR or FAA Inspector, the one who is actually going to sign it off, and ask what they need and require before they show up!

POH

I just downloaded a POH for a Cessna 172N (1978 model). Seemed like a good starting point since I've used one extensively in the past. Producing a decent, useful POH seems like a daunting task. Not to mention that some of that data can't really be known until the aircraft has been flown. How does one go about doing this without spending months on it?

POH....................................Not Required
Flight Test Program..............Required
Transponder certification......Not required for inspection, but Required before flying with transponder turned on.

Sounds like there is some inconsistency in what DARs require, or what they think is required. Mel, too bad you aren't (for my sake) closer. Thank you for the clarifications in any case.

I was "done" several months ago. Still working, mostly because I want EVERYTHING done when I'm done...so wheel pants and leg fairings will be on when I'm done. Then there's the weight and balance to be done, and the transponder check and pitot/static check ... and... and... and...

One question: When I reserved the N number, the document said do NOT put it on an airplane until it has an air worthiness inspection. But I know the DAR on other planes hasn't given a certificate until the n-number is on. Am I good to go to slap some numbers on there, or should I wait.

Oh, one more: does anybody here do data plate engraving?

When I was doing the registration thing, here is what I did.

I had reserved a number a few years before, so that was not an issue, after sending in my actual registration paperwork, and getting the card back, I had the numbers cut at a local sign shop, and applied them.

As I understand things, once you have the card, that number is yours for sure.

One thing, be sure the folks at the sign shop know the particulars of the letter and number detail, or they will not be correct. If you use the EAA registration packet, there is an example of how the letters should be done. Height, width, etc.

Don't forget your friendly Flight Advisor!

I would strongly urge you to meet with your Flight Advisor before the first flight to make sure your piloting skills meet the requirement of the aircraft. Transition training will most likely take care of this, but not all folks go thru the training.

I have given over a dozen FA reviews and the builder/pilot and I have reviewed a lot of areas that he had not considered. It's a free service (might cost you a cup of coffee or a breakfast) but I am sure you will get something out of the meeting to make it worth your time.

Good Luck!

One question: When I reserved the N number, the document said do NOT put it on an airplane until it has an air worthiness inspection. But I know the DAR on other planes hasn't given a certificate until the n-number is on. Am I good to go to slap some numbers on there, or should I wait.

Oh, one more: does anybody here do data plate engraving?
You can put the number on as soon as you get the registration from the FAA. Don't need to wait for any inspections.

Just take your data plate to a trophy shop.

Back