What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How the heck....

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
...do I get the pitot/aoa lines into the fuselage on my -6A project? I have two 1/4" soft aluminum lines from the Dynon pitot/AOA tube, and I have them run to the wing root plus about 6" or so each. I'm not sure what the best way to get these lines inside is : AN fittings or a hole-with-a-grommet-in-it.

Also, since I have electric elevator trim, the hole through the spar where the manual trim cable would go is appealing for running wires through the cockpit, however, if/when I pull the wings off I'd need to cut the wires. Is filing this hole out to the end of the spar an ok thing to do? It seems I heard/read about these somewhere, but can't find the reference.

Thanks!

For the wires, you can make a notch with rounded edges, to the end of the spar (web), which allows the wiring to stay in place. You can even drill another hole and notch in the opposite spar for additional wires. This was standard practice for the 6 spars.

My pitot tube goes through a grommet in the wing root area. I used 1/4" alum tubing through the grommet, and flexible rubber tubing to again connect to aluminum tubing in the wing. The rubber tubing I used was from condensing furnaces that I install. It's very flexible, doesn't require clamps, and extremely durable.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

For the pitot and AOA lines...

...I used AN833 bulkhead 90deg fittings. They are installed from inside the cabin with the AN924 nut on the outside. I also injected proseal between the skin and the the 063 thick gear attach web (part is F-6101??). Once the hole for the fitting is drilled and deburred, squirt in the proseal and let it cure completely.

I wrapped some packing tape around a pencil and stuck it in the still wet proseal filled hole. Once the goo cured, the pencil and tape were removed and the AN833 fittings were installed.

I found some interesting non-standard AN type fittings from EARLS INDY. Using these, it was an easy task to get the pitot and AOA lines attached to the -833 fittings.

In some of the material I received with finishing kit (or it may have been in the FWF kit, or the wiring kit), Van's indicated that the hole for the manual trim cable could be notched to make future removal of the wing easier. Also, the later material indicated that it was permissible to drill a small hole in the F-604A Bulkhead, above the spar, and centered (above where the L & R spars meet). This was to help in the wire routing of the flap motor. I don't remember the hole size, all my drawings are at the hanger...

Thanks for the replies - I was out at the hanger tonight wondering about this stuff again, envying my hanger buddy's -7 and how easily he can route this stuff through the spar box.

Once inside, does the pitot line stay close to the floor until it gets past the rudder cables? I'm not sure there's enough room to bring it up in the same area as the fuel vent tube. Alternatively, I was thinking of routing the pitot to the center and then up under the fuel selector/fuel pump/etc.

I like the proseal idea - I've got some 14+ month old stuff left over and this sounds like a good use for it.

Thanks!

Back