What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How tall is it?

BigD

Well Known Member
My garage opening is maybe 82" - how tall is the airplane on wheels at the highest point of the cabin top? I'm hoping to not create the boat in a basement effect, or see if I'll have to deflate the mains somewhat to wheel it out...enquiring minds.

==dave==
doing doors

You should be fine. I am sure someone has their -10 close by to measure. A few dollies without the wheels will get you out for sure. Now, get started on that cabin top.

Last edited:
Without the extra weight of engine, wings, empennage, etc...the top will possibly be an inch taller. Get some way-over FAA std guys to fill four seats, work the brakes and make airplane noises on the way out of the garage and you should be ok. Please video for us.

We just took an RV-7A on gear out from a garage. The critical height was the cabin top (and I don't have an RV-10 measurement for you). Put something under the tail (a mechanic's creeper works well) and raise the nose as it goes out the door to lower the tail. 82" is a pretty low door, though.

Yes, 82 inches IS a little low, and that's the wood, ie, the garage door is going to have to be pushed back in it's track to clear the way. Thanks for the suggestions, looks like there's nothing for it but to press on. Ovhd console arrived today, so there will be a few more days of work before the top is ready to go final anyway. BTW, I'm also planning on the Matco wheels/brakes so once I figure out what parts are excess to needs from the kit I'll have them up for sale...

==dave==
still doing doors

......or you could just take off the VS - it's only a few bolts.

That's what I had to do. I couldn't put the horizontal or vertical stabilizer on until the move to the airport.

I also had a length problem. My garage was about six inches too short to hang the engine at home. Which meant that the last two years of the build slowed down due to commenting to the airport.

It's not the VS, it's just the height of the cabin top. I too am worried about the overall length w/engine - will have to measure the cowl and see. But there's only so much you can worry about at one time - like getting the doors to close/fit/seal and look OK.

==dave==

If its that close...

...you could let some air out of the tires. This might net you about 1.5 inches and should be fine for the few feet you would need to roll it to get it out of the door.

If that's not enough, you might have to take the main wheels off and let the axles sit on some type of low profle creepers.

Or you could just roll the front out of the door and then weight the tail down to clear the vertical stab...

Dave, It will fit. I just measured my garage, 81-3/4 inches vertical opening. I pushed mine in and out about a thousand times. You don't want all that dust in your shop.

Last edited:
Back