What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How rivet Baggage ribs to Center Section Aft Bulkhead (Step 4, Page 21-02)

I'm to the point where I'm riveting the Baggage Ribs to the Center Section Aft Bulkhead with the LP4-3 rivets. Step 4, Page 21-02, last sentence reads: Install all the rivets so that the manufactured heads are on the bulkhead. I assume this means don't rivet from the baggage rib flange side, which is far easier than from the bulkhead side. The pneumatic rivet gun won't work because there's not enough space between the bulkhead. That leaves the only other option of using the close-quarters Avery hand pop riveter from the bulkhead side. There's hardly enough room to do this either. Anyone have any suggestions to make this easier? Why can't I rivet from the baggage rib flange side which would place the manufactured head on the side opposite the bulkhead?

Thanks,

Denny Myrick

Ribs

Roll the center section over 90 degrees and it gets fairly easy to rivet the ribs on. I don't know why they call that out, but I did the seat ribs the same way.

Page 21-02

By Manufactured heads, Van's means factory heads (as opposed to shop heads that you make by pulling the rivets). I do not have the plans in front of me, but this might be the area where the landing gear attaches. They do not want the shop heads sticking out where they would interfere. You build up your forearm muscles using the hand powered tool.
Joe

Back