What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How quiet is it?

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I hear that the 12 is quiet. I have a cousin who has a hearing problem--he hears too well. He wear earplugs inside a Bose headset and still says the noise can be almost unbearable. He is considering building, and I thought of the RV-12. Any actual sound level measurements, or good comparisons to pass on?

(I'm off to the Air Force museum for the day, so thanks in advance.)

Bob Kelly

Still pretty noisy on the inside. When people take about the RV-12 being quiet it is the engine. Rotax has a nice muffler system on it, very neighbor friendly. Maybe the interior kit would quiet it down.

No actual numbers, but it is about as noisy inside as a -9 IMHO, maybe less. I would not let the noise factor into not building one. Ear plugs are cheap!

Still pretty noisy on the inside. When people take about the RV-12 being quiet it is the engine. Rotax has a nice muffler system on it, very neighbor friendly. Maybe the interior kit would quiet it down.
I agree, I often get the "I didn't hear you coming!" comment.

And don't forget the prop - it's turning ~2000 RPM at takeoff RPM.

As for the inside, I haven't flown a -12, but all the other Rotax planes I've flown have a decent amount of noise. You need a headset with good passive reduction - the frequency of the engine noise is higher than most GA engines (more RPM) and the active noise canceling doesn't always work at the higher frequencies.

TODR

RV-12 Demo Flight

I flew the Demo 12 at Oshkosh this year. I took the time to remove my headset to sample the noise level. I must say that I was truly shocked as to just how noisy it was. I am currently building a 12 and I plan to do some serious sound proofing on the inside of the firewall. My hope is that it will help some. Oh, and yes, I am building E-AB

Tom

Good headsets

If you have a good headset, the noise is not an issue. It is similar to other light metal planes. C-172's make enough noise to satisfy me !

John Bender

Thanks, guys. I had hoped the 12 might be quieter. My cousin sold his Warrior because it was too noisy, and I guess the 12 would be worse than that. He does have a problem--wears ear plugs 24/7 and still has to avoid loud places. Plus he can never use the excuse that he didn't hear his wife...

BTW, the AF Museum was great, as always. And it was a nice day for the outing.

Bob Kelly

Thanks, guys. I had hoped the 12 might be quieter. My cousin sold his Warrior because it was too noisy, and I guess the 12 would be worse than that. He does have a problem--wears ear plugs 24/7 and still has to avoid loud places. Plus he can never use the excuse that he didn't hear his wife...
I'd suggest he get a ride in a -12 or at least a Rotax 912 powered aircraft before writing the -12 off. It's not that it's noisier, it's a ... different noise. More higher frequency stuff from the engine - not as bad as a turbine, but worse than a Lyclone in some says, better in others.

TODR

Back