What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How on earth does one rivet these?

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Anyone have any idea what to do about riveting the front seatback support, WD-808, to the spacer and cockpit rail. If you've gotten this far, I'm sure you know what 'm referring to. I'll try to get a picture uploaded anyway. The plans call for AN426 type rivets, but I can't see getting anything but a blind rivet in there....

Thanks,
Bart

wd808rivetxt6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bart,

On some of the tight use spots on my -6 I bought a $9 crowbar from Home Depot and filed down one end to whatever shape I needed.

b,
d

The nice thing about having my project in the garage is I can run out there and verify what I did in a given situation. I noted blind rivets (per plans) in a few very difficult to reach locations as shown in your photo. In this case, I refer you to DWG 72 Detail A.

Ok, I'm blind

I was able to shoot and buck all but one of them on each side, then I followed Rick6A's advice and...CS4-4'd the remaining hole, as the drawing clearly calls out. Not sure how I missed it, but I did!

Thanks guys, love this forum!

What i'd do

I am building a six so this particular spot does not apply to me.

If this was my task and you could get to the back side at all with a tiny wrench I would use hi-loks. They can replace rivets, screws or bolts.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/template.asp?pagename=hiloks

I have used them in various places I could not buck but could barely get to one side (just enough to get the collar or mini nut on).

3 x the shear strength in a pretty small package.

CS4-4

I've just done this: the plans call for CS4-4 in these locations (three per side, if I remember correctly).

Back