What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much voltage is too much?

sgoldin

I just installed a new (Mark Landoll) alternator. It is putting out 14.7 or 14.8 the info that Odyssey (PC 680) says keep it under 15v but am I too close doing any damage?:

220 or even 120v would be too much :) but I think you are OK with 14.7 only keep an eye on it. Also how are you checking your voltage and does it remain the same voltage with various RPM? Some regulatros are adjustable.

Last edited:
I'd be ok with that, are you measuring with an accurate digital voltmeter?

steve, i think you can tweek that external regulator with the adjusting screw.

hows the wx in the north?

I've found that if you go over 14.2V at the battery that you will use more water if it's that kind of battery. The regulator I designed and built holds the voltage to 14.0V. If you have a temperature probe connected to the battery case feeding a regulator that compensates for battery temperature then it will provide the proper voltage but that kind is seldom seen.

thanks info

The regulator is internal so no adjust, the monitor is EIS from Grand Rapids, the voltage does not change with RPM very steady. So I guess I will leave for now.

Thanks
Steve

Over voltage protection

Back in the mid-90's a friend of mine had a Landoll alternator on his RV6. The built in regulator failed and the voltage went high, uncontrolled. No telling how high the voltage got, but it fried quite a lot of things in his panel instantly.

I'd suggest putting in some kind of over voltage protection, unless the newer Landoll alternators/regulators have that incorporated these days. Cheap insurance...

pc 680 paper work

if i remember correctly in the pc 680 paper work they give voltages for charge. and if I remember correctly 14.8 is perfect, anything less is less than 100% charge. My odyssey battery charger charges at 14.8.

Noel

Somewhere I read that low 14's may be better, but who knows. Mine is set at around 14.2 and I have no indication that my PC 925 does not charge properly.

14.6-14.7 is somewhat normal on most installs I've seen... with the Odessy, it should not be an issue.

Last edited:
B&C Specialty says.....

FWIW, Bill Bainbridge ships his LR3C voltage regulators preset at the factory for 14.4 volts.

Good luck!

Jon Dembs
Rocklin, Ca.

Back