What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much to budget for mid time O-360 (fixed pitch)

Seattle

How much should I budget for a mid time 180hp O-360? Know any good used engine sources in the Pacific Northwest? Thanks.

The core value on a certified Lyc going back is now 12,700 (13,700 for an IO). For someone (probably not a builder) who is going to buy a factory reman a worn out engine is worth 12,700 (13,700).

http://www.lycoming.com/utility/global-resources/2008-Lycoming-Service-Engine-Price-List.pdf

I think this is why it's hard to find a good supply of mid time engines without "issues" and the very attractive option of a non cert Lyc or Lyc clone makes sense. I also think Lyc has the core values that high to intentionally get used parts out of the field as a business case.

A 0-360 188 HP ECI kit engine with all new parts was $13000 last year when I bought mine from A.E.R.O.

ECi

That was a parts engine you purchased for that price? Did you assemble it yourself? If not, what was the assembly cost?
Thank you.

Is the ECI engine kit something I can build in my own garage or do I need to do it at an approved facility? Somehow I got the impression that these kits need to be assembled with some kind of ECI approved oversight. Thought I saw something on their web site. It may be my imagination running away with me.

The engine kit $13000, high comp. pistons $100 ,forward sump $1900, Air Flow Perf. F.I. $2800, Used Lasar ign. (only 80 hrs and timing box) $800,starter and 60a alt. $310 , hardware kit $200. I did the assembly in my hangar/shop in about 12 hrs the engine runs great and very smooth .I had an A&P that has built several 100 engines guide me, a lot of knowledge aqquired and easy to do.

I have ECI O-360 for sale, assembled. Carb, mags and engine driven fuel pump incl. All new $18,750. PM me if you're interested.

Mid time engine searches can be discouraging because the prices are governed by the certificated engine market. If you need a replacement engine for your Cessna and you look at $35,000+ for new, you might think $15,000 for a mid time used isn't a bad deal. But for an experimental, when you can get a new engine from Aerosport & others for a little over $20K, that used engine doesn't look so good.

If you shop a lot, you may eventually find one at a price you feel is acceptable. There is an O-360 on Barnstormers right now 0-SMOH, overhauled by Barrett for $16.5K. Probably has been overhauled at least once before for that price. I found a 250 TTSN O-320 for $13.5K.

You could nose around at hangars, asking if anyone knows about any available engines. Networking like this could be pretty productive & you get to meet a lot of other pilots. And there is a salvage operation at Deer Park, outside Spokane that might have or get what you need. He had an O-320 a few weeks ago for $11.5K; I didn't ask about an O-360.

Consider carefully how you will work the transaction for a used engine from a private party. You could send a check and trust the seller to ship it, but what if he just takes your money? What if he does ship it, but it isn't as described? Or will it really be crated adequately?

For mine, I drove to from Oregon to Colorado to pick it up, and that is about the max distance I would consider.

How are you going to pay for it? I arranged with my bank for a debit card advance (some banks charge hefty fees for a large debit card advance--mine doesn't charge anything), we went to the seller's bank for the advance & it didn't go thru. Probably bad timing on between computers at the two banks. And the policy of the seller's bank was to try only once as a fraud prevention measure. He looked at me and decided I was trustworthy & volunteered he would accept a personal check. The remaining alternative was a wire transfer, which costs $20 and takes a few hours, it was 2:30 in the afternoon & I would have had to spend the night there & finish the transaction the next morning after the bank opened. You could bring a cashier's check, but if the seller is wise he won't accept it because they are being counterfeited left & right these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. For budgeting purposes it looks like I should hold about 19k aside for a kit engine. Anybody have experience with one of the ECI free builder assist workshops? Hard to believe they're really free? It sounds like a mid time engine may be had for less but are hard to come by.

I might try putting new jugs on a run-out bottom. My understanding is that it's usually the top end that governs TBO. Anybody know a decent engine shop in the Puget Sound area that can be trusted with this kind of work?

Thanks.

The engine kit $13000, high comp. pistons $100 ,forward sump $1900, Air Flow Perf. F.I. $2800, Used Lasar ign. (only 80 hrs and timing box) $800,starter and 60a alt. $310 , hardware kit $200. I did the assembly in my hangar/shop in about 12 hrs the engine runs great and very smooth .I had an A&P that has built several 100 engines guide me, a lot of knowledge aqquired and easy to do.

I'm interested -- this does include the core as well? Just trying to compare this to Superior SL which is $1000 less than their completed engine i.e. with their components you end up +$20k.

From ECi site I can easily find different kind of price list(s) for parts and completed engines. However at least I wasn't able to find prices for "component kits" -- they probably doesn't exists as is? Would you be willing to reveal all the prices and components how did you end up that ~$13 k?

Just trying to figure these prices: crankshaft + crankcase assy + 4 * complete cylinder assembly should become already close to that (~3800+~3800+4*~1250 = 12600)? And that lacks a lot parts...

13K gets you the basic engine. No accessories. No starter, mags, fuel system. That's all extra. It's still a pretty good deal. I spoke with Jesse at AERO while back, and it was 13,300 for the basic kit. The way I wanted to configure it, with updraft fuel injection, starter, someone to help/watch me put it together, I ended up around $21K. No free lunch as they say.

Mattituck, aerosport power and a few others can get me the same engine for about 1500 more than I could, and I get the benefits of warranty and their experience.

Just FYI. I've also had my eye on the used mid time market for some time. There really isn't much out there, and most would require a good bit of traveling and more risk per dollar than I'm comfortable with.

The other issue with used Lycomings

You also have to be careful about what dash number of O-360 you buy. Some fit an RV more easily than others. Make sure you know what all the numbers and letters mean before you commit!

Back