What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much rudder trim wedge to start?

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - getting ready to get my plane into paint in a couple of weeks.

The last thing I need to do before paint is to address a slightly out of center ball in cruise.

In cruise flight (155 kts or so), my ball is 1/8 to 1/4 of a diameter to the right.

I have one of the Avery plastic trim wedges, but was wondering if anyone could give me an idea roughly how much of the wedge I need. I know I will need to trim it a bit to get it exact.... just looking for a good place to start.

I thought I had read a while a go that the full wedge was good to correct 3 o4 diamters of ball defection.

Thanks,
Jason

Avery trim wedge

I used the same trim wedge and mine was out about the same amount. I taped it on full length with some of that aluminum tape. I cut off about a 1/4" and flew it. I did that until it started coming in closer, and then started cutting off 1/8". I ended up with 3 5/8" if I recall. I wrote it on my hanger wall in case if came off. Good luck.

Cut where

I used the same trim wedge and mine was out about the same amount. I taped it on full length with some of that aluminum tape. I cut off about a 1/4" and flew it. I did that until it started coming in closer, and then started cutting off 1/8". I ended up with 3 5/8" if I recall. I wrote it on my hanger wall in case if came off. Good luck.

I will need to do this but don't understand totally what you are cutting. I think you are cutting the wedge down lengthwise but leaving the trailing edge of the wedge alone (thickness), do I have this correct. I would have thought you would want to make the wedge thinner.

Can you also tell me where along the trailing edge of the rudder would be the best place for the wedge?

Thanks

We've always carved a wedge out of balsa wood and flight test it attached with tape, adjusting the size until it's just right, then make a final one out of plastic the same size and shape as the flight-tested balsa wedge for permanent attachment. That technique has worked great on 4 different RVs thus far.

Use balsa wood wedge similar to the avery tools plastic wedge, trim test, trim test, trim test, when you have it done cut the plastic wedge for a final installation, for best results paint before install and use 3m hard two face tape.

Alternatively, you can get a rudder trim assembly that can be adjusted from inside the cockpit or just rig your own, rather simple.

This way you don?t have to deal with the trim wedge on the new paint.

I will need to do this but don't understand totally what you are cutting. I think you are cutting the wedge down lengthwise but leaving the trailing edge of the wedge alone (thickness), do I have this correct. I would have thought you would want to make the wedge thinner.

Can you also tell me where along the trailing edge of the rudder would be the best place for the wedge?

Thanks

You could use balsa wood the same dimensions in case you cut too much, but I cut the length down in small increments so that I did not cut too much.
. In other words it is roughly 2" by 6" stock, and I ended up with 2" x 3 5/8" if I recall.

Why go to all the trouble of carving balsa if you are going to use the Avery plastic wedge in the end? Just tape the plastic wedge on full-sized and fly. Trim as required based on results. might take a couple of tries. On our -3, we ended up with a little more than half the original.

My suggestion is to remove it for paint, have the wedge painted separately, then attach it with foam tape (plenty strong). That way, if you ever decide to install an active trim system, you can remove it and the rudder is painted underneath.

Paul

Why go to all the trouble of carving balsa if you are going to use the Avery plastic wedge in the end? Just tape the plastic wedge on full-sized and fly. Trim as required based on results. might take a couple of tries. On our -3, we ended up with a little more than half the original.

My suggestion is to remove it for paint, have the wedge painted separately, then attach it with foam tape (plenty strong). That way, if you ever decide to install an active trim system, you can remove it and the rudder is painted underneath.

Paul

That is what I did.

Back