What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much metal shaping is required?

Alex

Well Known Member
Just got my tool kit today and realized that there aren't any files or scotchbrite wheels included (Cleaveland 12 tool set). I do have some files already, but I'm wondering how often, if ever, the 12 kit requires fabricating from raw stock. Is everything provided in a ready to deburr form?

Alex I brought the Avery RV-12 tool kit that came with 6 small hand files that have done the job so far although I have brought a couple of longer files for working on bigger lengths of metal I believe a vixen file would be ideal. So far I've only found you have to shape a tie down on the rear bulkhead and for the wings along with a couple of other things wing related, so with a hack saw, a few files, grinding wheel and Scotchbrite wheel you should be able to tackle most things.

I personally would suggest buying a Scotchbrite wheel as it speeds up prep no end and I think the only thing lacking in my toolkit (so far) was a tool to prepare the tail cone skins for lap joints but luckily I managed to source an Avery one in the UK quite quickly.

Last edited:
I would definately pick up a vixen (metal mover) file if for nothing other than removing the 'factory' edge from the sheetmetal. It will save you a lot of work at the scotchbright wheel

Alex,

Welcome to the club. Suggest you get a 6" vise if you don't have one. I only had a 4" and I made do with it but a bigger one would have been a lot better. Also suggest you make conatct with a fellow 12 builder in your region as there is no substitute for experience when it comes to some of the opertaions you will be performing as you proceed. I did not have that luxury and had to do a lot of trial and error.

You will find this forum invaluable.

John

I used a couple of 6" Scotch Bright wheels to debur the edges of every piece. There are several pieces you make from raw stock so a good set of files to remove stock and to finish the parts are needed. Also a good set of jeweler files comes in handy also to debur little stuff in tight places.

A small bench top band saw, a 6" disc / 1" belt sander, and buffing machine with a Scotch Bright wheel (Harbor Freight) are your best friends in the RV-12 shop, besides the frig, and bandaid box. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back