What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much longer can I put ofF engine choice?

BLittleton

Hi all,

I just crossed the 1,000 hours of build time mark for my 7 slider. Tail feathers are done except the tips and wings are done except the bottom skins and tips. The bottom of my tail cone and center fuse are riveted and I'm almost done fitting/fabricating all the angles/braces of the forward fuse.

I just started looking ahead at lead times for ordering the finishing kit (6-8 weeks) and realized for the first time that the order form wants all sorts of data about engine type and configuration to send the proper mount and cowels.

Well, I don't know what type of engine I want yet, and the money sure isn't there so do I have to wait and make these decisions BEFORE ordering the finish kit? Does anyone make their best guess at engine type and order the appropriate kit?

When is the "proper" time to order an engine? Same time as finish kit, or can I build out the finish kit and buy and engine when the money magically appears?

Thanks,

I would keep my eyes open now. A good engine out of a hail damaged plane, good cheap core, engine sitting in boxes....owner went another way (how I got mine) etc. If you are dead set on buying new....well, there is never a good time to fork over that kind of cash. I have less than 20k in mine and it's exactly what I wanted (angle valve, Lycon 10:1 pistons, pmags, cold air sump). It's overhauled not new....but I don't mind. I assembled it with guidance and learned a lot in the process. If I didn't want a monster motor....I could have saved a bunch. Just a data point to consider.

I just made a best guess, but I only live 20 miles from Van's so I figured if I needed to make a change it wouldn't be that hard.

Hi all,

I just crossed the 1,000 hours of build time mark for my 7 slider. Tail feathers are done except the tips and wings are done except the bottom skins and tips. The bottom of my tail cone and center fuse are riveted and I'm almost done fitting/fabricating all the angles/braces of the forward fuse.

I just started looking ahead at lead times for ordering the finishing kit (6-8 weeks) and realized for the first time that the order form wants all sorts of data about engine type and configuration to send the proper mount and cowels.

Well, I don't know what type of engine I want yet, and the money sure isn't there so do I have to wait and make these decisions BEFORE ordering the finish kit? Does anyone make their best guess at engine type and order the appropriate kit?

When is the "proper" time to order an engine? Same time as finish kit, or can I build out the finish kit and buy and engine when the money magically appears?

Thanks,

I wouldn't order it until you're ready to hang it. We got a little premature with our engine buy (came across a screaming deal) and it wound up sitting for two plus years, the worst thing to do to an engine. You never know what can hold you up.

I'd say finish the fuselage, get the canopy as far along as you can, get the motor mount on and the plane on its gear, finish the fiberglass, then when you're out of things to do purchase and mount the engine.

Ymmv

While I was in the minority in the last thread on this subject, for folks on a budget I still recommend doing the instrument panel first for the following reasons:

Current technology is excellent, don't need to wait for the bleeding edge.
If you build the panel yourself, the panel items can be purchased gradually in order to help spread the budget.
Firewall penetrations can be complete with wire hanging ready for engine.
It is WAY easier to do panel and FW stuff without the firewall recess installed.
Reduces idle storage time for the motor.
Adds time for motor selection and monetary arrangements for its purchase.

Three choices

Ordering your finish kit!
Forward facing sump? Or vertical ,,, that is the question.
Most all engines are Dynafocal I,,,,,so,,,,,,
You really only have two choices to make now. Intake front? Or vertical.
IO 320 or 360?,,, same engine mount, not a choice.
You can cut in the cowl and spinner without an engine or prop. In fact it is easer.
Look in the fiberglass section of this web site to see how.
Or call me.

Last edited:
In the time I waited for my engine it went up in price about 4 grand. Did not see that one coming...

Ordering your finish kit!
Forward facing sump? Or vertical ,,, that is the question.
Most all engines are Dynafocal I,,,,,so,,,,,,
You really only have two choices to make now. Intake front? Or vertical.
IO 320 or 360?,,, same engine mount, not a choice.
You can cut in the cowl and spinner without an engine or prop. In fact it is easer.
Look in the fiberglass section of this web site to see how.
Or call me.

Jay - It's not a Sticky. What was it Titled? I have my finish kit and I'm at the canopy stage so I'm looking forward and do not have an engine yet. This would be good to archive for when the time arrives so I can use it.

Edit: Jay - Is this the post your referring to? http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=77035

Last edited:
Current technology is excellent, don't need to wait for the bleeding edge.
I dunno. That's what I thought too... right before the Skyview came out. And the G3X Touch. If I should decide I don't want the latest bleeding edge, I can always buy it from someone who does and id upgrading.

I'm keeping an eye out for an engine now, and am ready to move if I happen to stumble across a really great deal (unlikely). I won't buy my EFIS until I absolutely have to. Everything else can get wired, but the "big holes" won't get cut and filled until it becomes necessary.

Back