What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much is enough?

dwilson

Well Known Member
Getting ready to "glue" in the rear windows on my RV-10.

Need to know how much gap is appropriate between the fiberglass flange and the plexiglass for the glue material.

I am planning to use Sikaflex.

Thanks,

Dave,
You need to talk to Dave Saylor about that - I'm pretty sure he did the same thing with Silpruf.
John

The plans are for Weld-On 10 and not Sikaflex. That could make a difference.

Also, I don't recall a thickness being mentioned. It mentioned using washers to shim under the windows if needed - until they were flush with the cabin top. Mine sat proud as it was, so I didn't put any washers down.

Other than that, the only reference I found in the plans was "thin coat" without any prescribed thickness.

Phil

If you go on to the Sika website they have a chart. The chart is based on the size of the glass. I believe that they called for around 5mm for that size window. I used the same 295UV and used AN960-10 washers, which ended up around .050. I did a pull test on my samples and broke the plexi trying to pull it apart. It never did come loose. Here is the link http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=1289

I am adding 2 layers of 3 oz. cloth around the outside so the paint won"t crack and to add to the strength
Bill

Back