What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much fuel in RV-6A tank when reads full ?

badmrb

If got a 6A and had pulled the tanks to proseal the sender units. It previously was just cork. .... And weeping.

I've got the Princeton capacitance probes with 2 set points. Fuel reads out on the GRT EIS I've always ignored the level readings because they were off. I just use the fuel totalizer.

I figure now is a good time to recalibrate the senders and the EIS totals.

Question: does anyone know what amount the tank will hold which will give a full reading? I was going to reset the totals so when the level got down to the probes they would actually read in a linear fashion.

Thanks

If got a 6A and had pulled the tanks to proseal the sender units. It previously was just cork. .... And weeping.

I've got the Princeton capacitance probes with 2 set points. Fuel reads out on the GRT EIS I've always ignored the level readings because they were off. I just use the fuel totalizer.

I figure now is a good time to recalibrate the senders and the EIS totals.

Question: does anyone know what amount the tank will hold which will give a full reading? I was going to reset the totals so when the level got down to the probes they would actually read in a linear fashion.

Thanks

The floats in the tanks of my RV-6 hit the top of the tank at 15 gallons. Not sure how that would compare to your probes but I suspect it would be pretty close.

The total fuel our 6A holds is 19.2 gals per side filled to the bottom of the filler tube. Our AFS2500 starts reading at the 14 gal level and is accurate to .1 gal.

i would agree with 14 gallon figure. ;)
img6092ex.jpg

Thanks

Thanks.

That gives me a good starting point. I went back out tonight and with the EIS manual finally figured out where the capacity parameters were. It was set to 19 per side which caused the problem.

Float and capacitance will be different

Do to the dihedral and the arc that a float type sending unit travels, you will have roughly 15 gallons when indicating full in flight attitude even though you pumped 19 gallons into it. (The float hits the top of tank so you can't measure the 4 gallons toward the outer portion)

A Capacitance sending unit on the other hand could measure the entire length of the tank if it runs from the base (near the fuel pick-up) to the upper skin surface near the filler neck. In that case, you should be close to the 19 gallons when full in level flight if properly calibrated.

Lots of variables based on the installation of both types.

Last edited:
Turns out to be 7 gal. reads FULL

It was a few step process. Filled tank. Set full point. Drained until got a reading which turned out to be 7 gallons each side.

Mine are pre-bent capacitance fuel level probes from Princeton electronics for the RV.

It was a few step process. Filled tank. Set full point. Drained until got a reading which turned out to be 7 gallons each side.

Mine are pre-bent capacitance fuel level probes from Princeton electronics for the RV.

Seven gallons? I've not heard of a sender that won't read any higher than that. Seven gallons puts the fuel level about even with the bottom of the tank right below the filler cap. Could it be this number is supposed to be doubled? Fourteen sounds about right.

As a general rule I don't launch with only seven gallons in a tank. Not sure how useful a gauge would be for flight management if it only reads below seven gallons.

Last edited:
Well it's a little more usefull than before since it wasn't accurate in any sense. I know they are right when they read empty! :) I think that makes the FAA happy:eek:

Now at least I have a second source to verify level for the last 14 gallons. That's a couple hours worth. All I have been using was fuel totalizer til now. That has usually been within a gallon or so when I filled. They basically measure level at the root to about an inch from top.

Back